NC launches senior social to replace banquet

Rachel Hunt

The senior organizers of the senior social, Briana Anderson and Keala English, pose for a picture with one of many posters they made to advertise the senior social which takes place April 26.

Rachel Hunt, Reporter, Photographer

The senior social will take place at Northstar church on Wednesday, April 26 from 6-8pm. The semi-formal event allows the senior class to come together for one last time before the seniors graduate.

During this special night, seniors will receive their yearbooks, listen to speeches from senior class president, Kamree Moore, and vice president, Detriana Edwards.

In previous years, NC held a senior banquet for the graduating class, but became an ice cream senior social instead. Senior Briana Anderson and senior Kaela English made the decision of coming up with an event for the seniors after administration cancelled the banquet.

“After talking to a few of my friends, we were all kinda in agreement that like it was kind of sucky that we had a senior carnival…. So me and Kaela just one day decided to go talk to Mr. Horton …if there was a chance that we can get the senior banquet… but there was no chance for that…so we talked about like the reason we didn’t have a senior banquet was  because it was too expensive and so he was like hey if you guys want to do something cheaper you can,” Anderson said.

Both Anderson and English stayed in touch with AP Human Geography teacher Nishnmin Porbandarwala, freshman literature teacher Jan Husband, and other administration to find ideas to fund for the social. They met with Zoyo representatives, the culinary program for catering, Northstar Church to use their building, and other students in the school for speeches and decoration ideas.

“It’s been crazy having to jump back and forth between our sponsor and administration and then like talking to vendors and stuff, but administration and our sponsor they’ve been really good about letting us kind of do things on our own and just kinda being there to guide us, so it’s been a really good learning experience,” English said.

Any student interested in helping with planning or making decorations can attend the next informational meeting on Monday, April 17 at 7:45am in Porbandarwala’s room. Want to help decorate the senior social? Anderson and English need help making decorations and other decorations next Tuesday and Wednesday after school in the TC room  from 4 to 6. Everyone who participates in helping after school will receive community service hours.

The tickets for the event cost $5 and will go on sale starting Wednesday, April 19 during lunch. The last day to purchase tickets will be the following Wednesday, on April 26.