NHS says goodbye to seniors, hello to juniors

Seniors+Celina+Cotton+and+Erin+Belmar+read+the+closing+poem%2C+ending+the+induction+ceremony.+

Rebecca Cantrell

Seniors Celina Cotton and Erin Belmar read the closing poem, ending the induction ceremony.

Rebecca Cantrell, Reporter

National Honor Society (NHS) inducted their junior members and honored their senior members with the NHS stole in the freshman cafeteria on Thursday, April 27.

“I felt thankful to be recognized for my hard work by a community that has been there for me from the beginning. The best part was the congratulations from my friends and family,” junior Abbey Milwicz said.

Advisers Jennifer Johnson, Ileana Padron, and Nena Tippens introduced the ceremony by discussing the importance of NHS and sharing the successes of the senior class, including completing over 3500 hours of community service, volunteering with special needs kids to play baseball, and participating in the March of Dimes walk for premature babies.

President Sam Vang and vice presidents Eunice Ngata and Shelby Singleton stand as Nena Tippens introduces them to the audience. Later, they share the importance of NHS and its characteristics.

“NHS most definitely impacted the community because we accumulated over 3500 hours and between the drives, fundraisers, and volunteering, I think we made a great difference,” senior Alison Adams said.

Senior officers Sam Vang, Eunice Ngata, Shelby Singleton, Rebecca Cantrell, Christina Lu, Erin Belmar, Celina Cotton, Andrew Gasparini, and Marie Ow conducted the induction ceremony by explaining NHS’ emblem, lighting candles signifying the four characteristics of a NHS member, saying the NHS pledge, and reading a closing poem.

As part of the induction ceremony, juniors received a certificate from NHS along with a pin with the organization’s emblem and a membership card. Seniors accepted their NHS stole and shared where they will attend college and their intended major.
“The induction ceremony was well-run, friendly, low stress, and an overall enjoyable experience,” Milwicz said.

As the senior NHS members say goodbye, they reflect on their impact to the community and the countless activities they participated in.

“My favorite activity was Horizon baseball because I got to talk to the kids and run around the bases with them. Seeing them smile made me feel like I made a difference,” Adams said.

Rebecca Cantrell
Senior Patrick Scherer shares he will attend Kennesaw State University in the fall.