Tweet goes viral, helps AP Physics students

Kat Shambaugh

AP Physics teacher Susan Ryan and senior Terique Mick shake on the deal.

Kat Shambaugh, Copy editor

Senior Terique Mick and Susan Ryan’s second period AP Physics class took to Twitter on Friday, April 28 in an attempt to gather 10,000 retweets by Friday, May 12 so Ryan would drop their lowest test grade.

The tweet grew exponentially after Mick posted it at 9:57 a.m., reaching the goal of 10,000 retweets around 8 p.m. Mick popularized the tweet by contacting social media celebrities, and Ryan gained some notoriety by sporting a Virginia Tech t-shirt which gathered fans from the school. The tweet currently boasts approximately 14,200 retweets.

“I thought I would have had it maybe by sometime next week, but I did reach out to a social media celebrity so he was helping me out too and that’s why it blew up so quickly. I would never have thought I would have gotten it in less than a day, though,” Mick said.

Mick decided to set up the tweet after a fellow classmate pitched the idea, and after seeing others from across the country attempt similar challenges on social media.

“One of my classmates wrote ‘how many retweets to get our lowest grade dropped’ on the board but no one wanted to ask and so I offered to hook everyone up. I posted it on Twitter asking people to make our dreams come true,” Mick said.

Ryan chose the required number of retweets and the deadline, expecting that the number would be impossible to reach. After seeing him reach the goal in one day, she affirmed that she will hold up her end of the deal.

“Terique came to me with the suggestion and I thought it would be a fun thing to do for the end of the semester to get people motivated. I never expected him to hit that number — I thought it was completely unrealistic — but I’ll definitely follow through to help their grades,” Ryan said.

Other classmates, also surprised at the tweet’s viralness, look forward to the improvement in their grades.

“I see these all the time on the Internet and sometimes I’m like ‘no, just deal with the grade you have,’ but now that I’ve taken AP Physics I am very happy that we reached our goal in one day because I need it for my grade,” senior Erin Duessel said.

Though he encountered some negativity through the social media site, Terique looked at the viral tweet as a fun way to end the semester.

“Some people were saying good things and cheering me on, while some people were being negative, but I just ignore them. I just kept doing my thing to try to help out my fellow AP students,” Mick said.