Running the show: New head coach Huff inspires cross country team

Kat Shambaugh

New Cross Country Head Coach John Huff gives team members instructions before the time trial on Thursday, August 11. The race provided Huff with his first opportunity to exercise his duties as head coach.

Mackenzie Union, Photographer, Reporter

Beginning in June 2016, the NC Cross Country Warriors welcomed previous Assistant Coach John Huff as the team’s new head coach, which ushers in an era of change for the runners.

Huff initially joined the Cross Country family in 2006 as an assistant coach. He worked alongside other head coaches to prepare the team for competition at multiple State championships. Following previous Head Coach Sarah Bowling’s abdication, Huff jumped at the opportunity to incorporate ten years of coaching wisdom into his responsibilities in the top position.

Huff "hangs out" with the team by ziplining during last year's trip to Furman University.
Courtesy of Riley O’Neill
Huff “hangs out” with the team by ziplining during last year’s trip to Furman University.

Delighted by earning the recognizable position, Huff entered into his new beginning with ideas on how to push intensity and qualify his runners for the State meet: “I’m not changing too much, but the typical week will look different than it did last year,” Huff said.

His plan includes two hard workouts each week and strength training on recovery days: the days following a hard workout where the team runs a shorter distance with less intensity to allow for muscle relaxation. Adding intensity during the weekly runs helps to lessen runner intimidations as well.

Leading up to the Regional meet on October 26, the team must work together and push themselves to run with as much intensity as possible. The competition, held at Allatoona Creek Park, determines if the boy’s and girl’s varsity teams from region 3-7A will qualify for the State meet in Carrollton.

Huff looks forward to the Regional meet due to a change in the region classifications, giving NC a greater chance of qualifying for State: “I am excited about the new region being different and seeing what happens with the competition between schools,” Huff said.

Huff works with the Cross Country team's managers during the time trial last Thursday. Beyond coaching the runners, Huff must also oversee all managers and volunteers.
Kat Shambaugh
Huff works with the Cross Country team’s managers during the time trial last Thursday. Beyond coaching the runners, Huff must also oversee all managers and volunteers.

At the beginning of each new Cross Country season comes new runners who function as a positive asset for the team, especially those that join after running with the middle school Junior Warriors and understand how to work together to pursue a goal.

“It is always great to see how many students join the team. I love seeing freshman return from Junior Warriors, because I know their potential. With all of the new and old runners, I’m excited about the potential we have to do well in [Regional] and in State,” Huff said.

After ten years of assistant coaching and encouragement, Huff also forged bonds with returning runners, earning their trust.

“I think Coach Huff will do really well coaching us. We have a strong team and he’s going to help push us to our best,” varsity runner and sophomore Lindsey O’Neill said.

I think Coach Huff will do really well coaching us. We have a strong team and he’s going to helP-2Kat Shambaugh

As Huff enters his first season as head coach, he knows he has big shoes to fill. A head coach position requires great responsibility and Huff looks forward to leading the team to victory.

“I’m excited to see what happens with me in charge and I really hope we place in the top three at region to go onto State,” Huff said.