ROTC looks to build off success

North+Cobb+ROTC%E2%80%99s+achievements+greatly+exemplify+the+quality+and+success+of+the+program.+Three+trophies+specifically+show+their+accomplishment+in+the+Brain+Brawl%2C+a+national+competition+they+won+three+years+in+a+row.+%E2%80%9CQuite+frankly%2C+I+feel+ecstatic+about+the+success+of+our+ROTC+program.+I+couldnt+be+more+pleased+with+the+performance+of+the+cadets.+I+have+to+take+my+hat+off+to+them.+They+are+the+ones+who+go+and+do+the+hard+work+to+make+us+proud+and+keep+us+proud%2C%E2%80%9D+Commander+Joel+Reaves+said.+

Bahaar Esfahani

North Cobb ROTC’s achievements greatly exemplify the quality and success of the program. Three trophies specifically show their accomplishment in the Brain Brawl, a national competition they won three years in a row. “Quite frankly, I feel ecstatic about the success of our ROTC program. I couldn’t be more pleased with the performance of the cadets. I have to take my hat off to them. They are the ones who go and do the hard work to make us proud and keep us proud,” Commander Joel Reaves said.

Jacob Tutterow, Reporter

After a strong year of competition for ROTC cadets, returning cadets started preparing for a better year with the new cadets signing on.

“Our enrollment is as high as it’s ever been. We’ve never had a class this big,” Reaves said.

A welcome picnic held by First Sergeant Michael Dickerson and Commander Joel Reaves kicked off the year to welcome new cadets and parents to the ROTC program. The picnic cost nothing to all students, as parents provided dishes. The picnic gave First Sergeant Dickerson and Commander Reaves an opportunity to meet the parents of new cadets joining the program.

In addition, Commander Reaves also commemorates his tenth year teaching in the ROTC program. With enrollment historically high, first time ROTC members feel overwhelmed, but motivated.

“I have a lot to live up to, but I am ready to try,” junior Sierra Mchugh-Brian said.

Moreover, the different teams in ROTC continue to grow and outperform the other teams in our area. When looking around each of their rooms, the amount of trophies lining the walls, bookcases, and several shelves around the room go unnoticed.

“Oh my goodness, look around the classroom. I’m running out of space here, and there are just as many in First Sergeant’s room,” Reaves said.

The different teams include Orienteering, Academic Team, Drill Team, Rifle Team, and Athletic Team. Each completes a different task; for example, Orienteering uses compasses to position themselves and travel to a specific location, and Academic Team participates in ‘Brain Brawl,’ a competition where cadets answer various military questions. The teams provide more opportunities for cadets to expand their knowledge on military subjects.

“A lot of people are of the misunderstanding that we prepare students to join the military,” Reaves said. “Couldn’t be further from the truth. The ROTC program at the high school level is a citizen development program. This program teaches citizens about discipline, how to do things without being told, how to take care of yourself and those in your charge. It also teaches students about community service.”