Bus accident scares students and faculty

Emmett Schindler, Editor-in-Chief

Late buses trouble students at NC once again. The South Cobb magnet bus finally picked up students at 8:25 yesterday morning, and a vehicle rear ended the bus shortly after beginning its route, which caused everyone on the bus to miss first period and most of second.

“At first I thought a tire blew out, but then we turn around and there’s a car. We were already an hour and a half late when we were on our way to Osborne to the next bus stop,” senior Brittany Ent said.

The rear end caused many students to leave the bus with an injury. With the worry of them coming to school with scratches and being lightheaded, NC made sure attention was provided immediately.

“We were kinda prepared. Transportation had already called Ms. Goodwin and told her what was to be expected,” nurse Fakira Gerald said. “When they came we already had a plan to meet in the Warrior Room and from there I assisted everybody.”

The students who sat in the back received the most attention since the impact happened on the rear of the bus. Many seniors claim it affected them greatly.

“I started chewing, and my whole face started hurting. My mom asked if I could go the rest of the day and I don’t know if I could,” senior Nicole Banos said.

Other than injuries, more problems posed onto the students on the bus, especially for seniors with their first AP Macroeconomics class during first and second period.

“I didn’t get to take the test, so that’s upsetting. I may have to stay after school [Friday] to take it. I’m not pleased,” Ent said.

Some students experienced emotional reactions to the event as there was already so much stress posed onto them.

“It was the first time I’d been in a car accident and I was terrified, not only for myself but for the other kids on the bus and for the people in the car that hit us. I don’t think I’ve still fully processed what happened yesterday,” senior Imani Bryant.

Despite the scare, no injury was severe enough to be admitted to the hospital. South Cobb Magnet students hope to get back on track in what they missed and to next time come to school without a stiff neck.