NC Choir celebrates vocal talents at KSU

Leda Catak

Students study their music prior to the concert which took place at 7:30pm.

Leda Catak, Reporter

Members of the NC Women’s Choir made their way to Kennesaw State University for Women’s Choral Day on Thursday, October 13.

“The whole process was just a fabulous way to meet new people and do something that you’re passionate about with over 200 other girls,” sophomore Leann Lam said.

The students started the day off by warming up their vocal chords and meeting new friends. The conductor, Dr. Alison Mann, introduced herself by mentioning that a long day awaited the singers.

Select high school students proved their love for music by practicing four pieces, including one in Latin. Around 4 p.m., KSU students performed for the high schoolers in the audience as their solo for the music education major.

While the noise surrounding the intense rehearsal buzzed through the auditorium, the breaks lead to the formation of new friendships, self-reflection, selfies, and gave students time to audition for solos in the next musical production: Ukuthula.

The ladies from all around the district sang a selection of four pieces, on called Ukuthula. The special piece of music got recorded during the concert to be played in a documentary.
Leda Catak

“It was such a beautiful experience,” sophomore Rasheeda Hullum said. “Both socially and musically, the event enabled students to become more comfortable working in a larger, perhaps more professional setting. It challenges the ladies while also giving them a glimpse in music education after high school.”

While time elapsed, the ladies prepared for the concert at 7:30 p.m in the Bailey Performance Center. Students took this time to reflect upon the singers’ previous vocal performances and pushed through for the best possible outcome.

“These students are incredible,” KSU Associate Professor of Choral Music Education Dr. Alison Mann said. “It’s like they woke up early in the morning to come for this event that they knew would last an approximate 12 hours. What’s fascinating about this for me is the fact that some of these lovely leaders will be joining me at KSU in a couple years from now.”