Iggy Azalea proves rap expertise with award wins

Azalea shows off her Grammy award.

Rachel Hunt

Azalea shows off her Grammy award.

Rachel Hunt, Reporter, photographer

The 2017 Grammys brought about scandal after Iggy Azalea, world-famous rapping icon, won all three rap awards, along with the notorious “Album of the Year” at the ceremony on April 1.

Azalea took home Best Rap Performance, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album and Album of the Year. No other rap artist accomplished this with only their second album released.

This striking announcement of Iggy Azalea winning these rap awards came after the actual Grammys award show Saturday night when producers mixed up the award cards. Randomly, Steve Harvey appeared on stage with the award cards and called out all rap awards at once explaining Beyonce and Kanye West won each category.

Unfortunately, the trend of mixing up announcement cards at awards shows continues. The Grammy’s and The Recording Academy apologizes for the mix-up and assures audience the mistake will never happen again.

“We sincerely apologize to the previously announced winners, Beyonce and Kanye West, who won the awards in these categories,” the Recording Academy said in a tweet late on April 1. “The announcers were given the wrong announcement card and apologize the error was not corrected immediately. There is an investigation still pending and changes will be made with future Grammy award shows. Lastly, thank you to Beyonce and Kanye West for handling the situation with grace and professionalism.”

Nominated in all five categories with her new, world-record breaking album “Azalea,” Billboard Music recently released details about the amount of downloads of her new album and statistics that all fifteen tracks on the album remain in the Top 100 all over the world. Billboard also predicts this album will leave other artists in the dust at their upcoming music awards.

Rachel Hunt
Rapper Iggy Azalea expresses her gratitude.

Students at NC buzzing about the mix-up over Twitter and in the hallways seem to agree that Azalea wholeheartedly deserved the awards she received. Students love the album and recently started a protest insisting to Principal Bucky Horton that the song “School Sucx” be the new fight song for the school.

“The song is uplifting and motivating to students and the rest of administration agrees. I am all for changing the fight song to this because it is totally a lit song. The staff and students will get a chance to vote and if they vote yes then we will have a new fight song starting Friday,” NC principal Bucky Horton said.  

To buy or download Iggy Azalea’s new album visit iTunes, Google Play, or Spotify. Make sure to watch the Billboard Music Awards in two weeks to see Azalea win all the rap awards.

April Fool’s, you fool!

XOXO, The Chant