All-star NBA coach takes talents to NC

Popovich+reveals+in+a+press+conference+his+new+coaching+job%2C+wearing+the+NC+logo+

Khalil Jackson

Popovich reveals in a press conference his new coaching job, wearing the NC logo

Khalil Jackson, Reporter

In a remarkable turn of events, five-time NBA champion and three-time Coach of the Year Gregg Popovich, retired from the NBA to coach NC’s varsity basketball team and teach Physical Education.

Popovich’s decision to leave the San Antonio Spurs for a high school shocked even those close to him, but The Chant earned the chance to ask what drove the strange decision.

“It just got old, honestly. Having to travel around the country for half of the year, virtually nonstop, is draining on my body. I needed to get away from it,” Popovich said.

Popovich’s insight will be valuable not only as a coach, but as a mentor to his players and students. He can draw upon his nearly 30 years of NBA experience and 68 years of life experience to change kids’ lives for the better. Many of those he will coach watched his teams growing up, and the chance to pick his brain will surely help them become better men.

Popovich’s decision to coach NC should also improve the basketball team’s fortunes on the court. After a subpar 2016 season from the Warriors, a coach as brilliant as him, along with the transfers sure to follow him, will inject a greatly needed bit of life into the team.

Junior guard Corey Davis showed a lot of excitement regarding Popovich’s new position.

“It’s really crazy that he decided to coach here, nobody even believes it, man. I’m really looking forward to next year, because I think it’s going to go well for us,” Davis said.

Be sure to go to every single basketball game next year to cheer the new Warriors on.

April Fool’s, you fool!

XOXO, The Chant