With tryouts complete, new season preview forecasts success

Nneoma Igwedibie

Sophomore Sam Aldridge serves.

Andrew Lubbers and Emmett Schindler

As summer closes, fall sports prepare to kick into high gear. Football, volleyball, and cross country tryouts have finished, and new players feel ready to kick-off the fresh season. Students are eager to start working hard and making Warrior Nation proud.

Football

DSC_0078Nneoma Igwedibie

The NC football team worked hard all summer, and after a successful region championship season, they seem ready to begin a new journey. Although North Cobb graduated multiple seniors, the expectations remain high.

North Cobb will be replacing six all-region players in running-back J’Vonte Herrod, receiver Torrance McGee, linebackers Chad McClanahan and Jalil Kuku, and defensive-backs Cameron Albright and Latrell Gibbs. Nevertheless, the Warriors’ confidence remains high.

“We have a lot of big shoes to fill, we lost a lot of size, but we have heart,” senior defensive end Rashawn Decastro said.

Senior all-state quarterback Tyler Queen leads offense, as well as returning starting receivers Devin Granville and Deon Dodd. Sprayberry transfer senior Bryce Perryman is expected to lead a plethora of running-backs that will carry the load in the Warrior backfield.

“We have one of the best offenses to come out of North Cobb. So I’m expecting a lot of stats, and even more improvement,” Dodd said

When Queen suffered an elbow injury while pitching in a baseball game in February, many feared he might not play this season, but the injury did not require surgery, and Queen’s elbow feels healthier.

Sophomore linebacker Chandler Wooten and senior safety DeVaughn Harris anchors defense. Juniors Cale Reid and Keano Aitken will also need to step up and help fill the holes in the warrior defense.

“We have a very disciplined group of guys, we’ve been preparing all summer for this, and we’re ready to do work this fall,” Reid proudly stated.

Ninth year head coach Shane Queen also continues to be faithful in his players, coaches, and program.

“Good teams don’t rebuild. They reload,” Queen said.

Senior Savannah Gonzalez swings; senior Simone Maxwell and junior Elizabeth Daniel blocks.
Nneoma Igwedibie

Volleyball

After finishing a strong season by making it into the elite eight, the varsity volleyball team looks to make another run. With the addition of some new faces, the team has steadily practiced to make the best volleyball team in North Cobb history.

“I’m getting prepared for this season by improving my vertical,” sophomore Shannon Callon said, when asked how she wants to prepare.

The volleyball team has high expectations this year after their elite eight appearance last year. Coach James Auld pushes his girls to the limits to try to make it even further this year.

“Every practice, I do 10,000 suicides,” senior Abby Miller said, exaggerating on how difficult their practices have been.

Cross County

With fall sports also comes cross country. Last year, the boys finished 3rd in regionals, and girls finished 5th. A strong group of seniors on both sides hope to improve on those finishes.

“Cross country makes running fun and friends have influenced me to join,” first year cross country runner sophomore Devika Ganapathy said.

Senior Karen Ponce hopes to make this season of cross country her best yet.
Nneoma Igwedibie

This year, the cross country team particularly looks to improve from last year after finishing 15th in state. The team this year feels pressure to step up and push themselves to higher limits.

“I enjoy the competition and how you really have to push yourself, but you keep wanting to get better and improve,” second year runner sophomore Ben Hays said.