The Lorde rises

Tara Anastasoff

The few songs Lorde debuted at Coachella, including “Green Light,” excites fans for her album dropping in June.

Andrew Gasparini, Reporter, Photographer

After retreating from the limelight and residing in the shadows for two and a half years, Ella Yelich-O’Connor, also known as Lorde, finally made her return April 16 with her first headlining performance since her last tour at Coachella.

Taking the stage, Lorde debuted new material from her upcoming sophomore album, Melodrama, which she will release on June 16. The “Royals” singer appeared on Saturday Night Live on March 11 to sing her singles “Green Light” and “Liability” in preparation for the album’s release.

Melodrama centers itself on Lorde’s first major breakup with longtime boyfriend James Lowe early last year. However, Lorde claimed she wrote her second album to sound like all the emotions of a house party, ranging from dancing mania to heartache.

Melodrama greatly contrasts 2013’s Pure Heroine lyrically, musically, and in presentation. Lorde kept much of her identity secret until after the release of Pure Heroine, surrounding herself in a mysterious aura which caused millions to become instantly interested.

The second time around Lorde does not possess the same luxury of elusiveness and paints Melodrama as a return from her extended hiatus. With her sophomore record, Lorde does not shy away from speaking about her emotions, writing for the first time in regards to love and heartbreak. In both released singles, “Green Light” and “Liability,” Lorde sings along to a piano and offers a more acoustic sound compared to her first album.

Below, The Chant reviews songs debuted from Lorde’s upcoming Melodrama.

Green Light

Lorde’s first solo song since “Yellow Flicker Beat” in September of 2014 provides a glimpse of the singer’s life following her breakout success. Wishing she could move from Lowe, Lorde begins the song banging on the piano and proclaiming the negligence of her former lover. The piano starts playing a rhythm that no one can resist dancing to as Ella relives her recent breakup, singing, “Oh, I wish I could get my things and just let go/ I’m waiting for it, that green light, I want it.” The anthem does not necessarily revolve around Lorde’s breakup but rather its aftermath and how she plans to go forward from that point in her life.

Liability

A week after the release of “Green Light,” Lorde surprised her listeners with another single. “Liability” differs from the rest of Lorde’s discography because the song consists solely of vocals and piano. This stripped-down song opens Lorde up to her audience and focuses on how her fame affected her friendships. Lorde serenades, “The truth is I am a toy/ That people enjoy/ ‘Til all of the tricks don’t work anymore/ And then they are bored of me,” showing how new people in her life acted sincere despite their true intentions and what they expected out of the relationship.

Sober

Performing at a small venue the day before her Coachella set, Lorde premiered “Sober,” which feels like a Daft Punk song with sampled audio, catchy percussion, and background brass instrumental. The song follows the outcome of Lorde’s breakup and how she remains under the influence to avoid the reality of her emotions. Ella contemplates: “We’re King and Queen of the weekends/ Ain’t a pill that could touch our rush/ But what will we do when we’re sober?” Dancing around truth, Lorde plays off the idea of sobriety as painfully unbearable in a sure-fit for a radio hit.

Melodrama

As the title track of the record, “Melodrama” summarizes the past two and a half years, and the song truly lives up to its name. Lorde, accompanied only by piano and an orchestra, chants at the beginning: “Lights are on, and they’ve gone home/ But who am I?/ Oh how fast the evening passes/ Cleaning up the champagne glasses.” After a house party, everyone leaves Lorde on her own, and she must face her loneliness while she reflects on her past relationship. Later in the second verse when the drumbeat kicks in, Lorde sings, “They’ll talk about us, and discover/ How we kissed and killed each other/ We told you this was melodrama/ You wanted something that we offered.” Lorde uses “Melodrama” as her thesis for her second album revolving around sensationalized heartache.

Melodrama presents a fresh indie-pop approach to the common subject of love and heartbreak that shows that Lorde will rise again.

The Chant’s grade: A-