The hearts of Heart to Heart

Heart to Heart created and designed multiple jars for a coin drive to help the CASANA foundation. “We were excited about the first creation of the jars because next week we hope to raise a lot of money for the organization with our customized jars that will hopefully urge people to donate,” sponsor Mrs. Theaker said.

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer

Heart to Heart club, a community service organization that meets twice a month in Room 611 before and after school, brings awareness to depression and anxiety and helps alleviate stress for both the club members and the community through tutoring local elementary school children, raising money for organizations that the members feel passionate to support, and volunteering opportunities.

“I just get a whole new connection with the people I meet in heart to heart and especially cause you just get such a diverse background and people with different stories who will also share their stories to help the dynamic of the club,” junior and president Brianna Hewitt said.

Ansley Hayman, former president and creator of the club, currently attends the University of Georgia, with future plans in store to pursue her passions for volunteering and nonprofits. Hewitt, current president, plans events that impact her past and her community to continue Hayman’s legacy. Hewitt possesses a cheerful attitude towards the club and shows it through her excitement for this year with her team; junior vice president Abir Ghallab, vice president sophomore Averi Childress, secretary sophomore Mary Anglin, and sophomore secretary Tanner Corbett.  

“Our goal is to make the world a better place one step at a time. We don’t just want to be a club, but a close group of friends. Heart to Heart is a great outlet from the stress of school and the world. We want to spread happiness to others while also feeling happy ourselves,” Hewitt said.

Hewitt, a courageous student in the magnet program experienced rough times throughout her life and currently deals with processing disorders, apraxia and ADD. She describes her life motto as “not let it stop me,” meaning that she will not let her disorders stand in the way of achieving what she puts her mind to.

Her story greatly impacts her goal of helping anyone and everyone she can in Heart to Heart.

Hewitt holds the title as a national spokesperson for the Apraxia Association, where Heart to Heart’s first fundraiser will benefit, and the organization  remains incredibly close to her heart.

Each month, Heart to Heart does something new and gets to see the difference they impose in the world, which serves as Hewitt’s favorite part. Often organizations will show appreciation to club members who assist and support them.  The members get to see the people they help at events.

“Knowing that you get to see what you’re really doing, it puts that feeling on a whole new level, how happy you are,” Hewitt said.

Each member of this club earns community service hours for every activity they participate in, which could qualify them for a cord at graduation, but most people in the club participate in community service out of their love for helping others.

Madeline Powers
During their decorating party, a peanut butter jar transformed into a beautiful coin drive container. The logo of CASANA blended into the design with a gracious topping of a blue ribbon.

Heart to Heart will start this year right by beginning the “Hearts of Faith,” a tutoring and academic organization that Heart to Heart helps with every Tuesday at the Hearts of Faith thrift store from 4:45-6:15. The Hearts of Faith thrift store also holds Halloween and Christmas parties for the kids.

September holds a wide variety of fundraisers including fundraising for the Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America (CASANA), Walk for Apraxia, and Mostly Mutts. In October, they will continue with the Smile Train fundraiser as they have in years past, as well as having members work with the Atlanta Food Bank and Mostly Mutts.

Members do as much as they can, but do not have to come to every meeting or fundraiser. Anyone wanting to join Heart to Heart club can talk to Mrs. Theaker or Ms. Shelnutt at any time in the year and come to the meetings during the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each Monday in Mrs. Theaker’s room, 611, before or after school.

“I think it has made me fall in love with community service more than even before and makes me feel that I’m actually doing something for the school,” Hewitt said.