Annual Screen on the Green pleases students once again

From the Wizard of Oz film that played last year at Screen on the Green to this year’s Disney original, College Road Trip, students of all grade levels filled the football field to relax with their friends and watch a great film. “I thought it was a really cool idea and was fun if you’re hanging out with the right people,” freshman Tori Lee said.

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers

Rachel Maxwell, Social Media Manager

On Wednesday, September 13, NC held the annual Screen on the Green event in preparation for homecoming. Students gathered on the football field for pizza, popcorn, and a movie. They watched Disney’s College Road Trip while cuddling up with blankets and pillows to keep warm.

Other NC clubs also took this as an opportunity to raise money for their organizations. Becca’s Closet, a nonprofit organization providing free, new homecoming dresses and accessories for girls, sold baked goods near the entrance of the field.

The profits will go towards the founding chapter of the organization in Florida and purchase dresses for the organization.

“The sales went great and I can’t wait to see all the girls in their beautiful dresses for homecoming. Screen on the Green is always an amazing opportunity to get the word out about this meaningful club,” senior and founder of the Atlanta chapter Sydney Sims said.   

The night concluded with friends singing and dancing along to childhood favorites, playing frisbee, and relaxing after the long day.

“Screen on the Green is an important event because it brings out the student body and the community. Families come out and enjoy a movie together, it gives a warm and homey atmosphere. It’s like a calm in between the hectic [nature] of homecoming week. This year it turned out amazing, a lot of people came out and enjoyed the movie itself and the event overall,” senior and Tribal Connections member Sandy Dang said.

Madeline Powers
Before the film played on the big screen, students set up their blankets and tapestries, which ranged from tribal patterns to Christmas-themed emojis. “The layout seemed to work really well. Many people brought their own blankets and chairs, and the turf was actually really comfortable,” junior Christine Call said.

Rachel Maxwell, Social Media Manager

Rachel Maxwell, Social media manager to The Chant, is a senior at NC. Her love for writing and photography drew her to the newspaper staff, but after 3...

Madeline Powers, Archivist, reporter

Madeline “Maddie” Powers continues her career in Journalism as a junior at North Cobb. She takes great initiative in starting a new section at The...