Cross Country competes at Kennesaw Mountain High, beating heat and hills

Kat Shambaugh

After praying and talking about the race, the girls’ team “turns up” by singing and cheering for each other.

Kat Shambaugh, Reporter

Warrior Cross Country team traveled to enemy turf for a meet Wednesday, August 27 at Kennesaw Mountain High School. Despite the heat and hills, Warrior runners raced with determination, and varsity paced the sub-varsity to help them train for the upcoming season.

At the sound of the gun, the boys team starts the race. The team will have to run approximately three miles to complete the race, and most of their times will be in the low 20s.
Kat Shambaugh

Junior Stephan Gardener and senior Nick Nasr led the boys, with new runner sophomore Matthew Terrill and veteran senior Jordan Wehner working together to finish right after them. Senior Regan Jackson and freshman Abby Jeske stood at the front of the pack for girls, followed closely by junior RJ Anderson.

Sophomore Dillen Ivans and freshman Anthony Graham complete their first mile in the 5K. They have two miles left to run until they finish.
Kat Shambaugh

Times for the boys remained average for the team, with the first runner coming in at 19 minutes and 10 seconds, and the last male running a 29:38. Sub-varsity runner senior Teddy Shambaugh talked about the lowered self-esteem of the team members: “Since it was technically the first race of the season, nobody thinks they did as well as they could have because nobody has run a 5K this season.”

Not everyone stayed disappointed with the team, though, and varsity senior Josh Wehner remained proud even with his later times. “The course was hard because it was really hot, hilly, and all over the place, but our team did well, especially the sub-varsity. We had a lot of guys place where we wanted them to,” Wehner said.

Girls’ times stayed one to three minutes slower than average. The top girl finished with a time of 23:44, and the last female completed the meet at 46 minutes and 41 seconds.

One of the main qualities and tenets of the cross country team, positivity stands strong.

Junior Riley O’Neill showed off the Warrior spirit with a happy comment: “Our whole team worked awesome together, and we came out and showed Kennesaw Mountain who’s boss. We’re gonna have a great season kicking butt!”

Each varsity runner paired up with a sub-varsity runner to help pace them and give them tips during the race. The sub-varsity kids took the opportunity to learn from the faster runners, and senior Jessica Luna, who ran with junior Maddie Arnold, said, “It was a tough course, but I feel like we worked together and it really helped.”

Other runners enjoyed having the varsity to back them up as well.

Junior Karen Ponce completes the last 100 meters of the race, and finishes 15th for North Cobb girls.
Kat Shambaugh

Matthew Terrill, sophomore and at the front of the pack, “liked having the seniors behind me to yell at me and push me.”

Head Coach Sarah Massey cheered on her team and gave them pointers. She later reflected on the team’s performance, “I think it was a solid effort on every runner’s part; they went out doing what they needed to do. Team members had different goals in this race and I think they met them.”