Baseball seniors hope for one last home run of the season

Christian+Tetrault%2C+Zack+Lewis%2C+Matthew+Terrill%2C+and+Gavin+Rose+%28pictured+left+to+right%29+enjoy+some+laughs+before+suiting+up+for+their+daily+practice.+%E2%80%9CChristian+always+makes+sure+everyone+has+a+smile+on+their+face%2C%E2%80%9D+Rose+said.+
Christian Tetrault, Zack Lewis, Matthew Terrill, and Gavin Rose (pictured left to right) enjoy some laughs before suiting up for their daily practice. “Christian always makes sure everyone has a smile on their face,” Rose said.

Turner Markwalter

Turner Markwalter

Turner Markwalter, Reporter

With graduation festivities along with typical school stress, senior year can contain a multitude of activities that take up a lot of time in one’s schedule, such as assuming the spot of president in a club or captain of a sports team. Four seniors at NC, pitcher Matthew Terrill, 3rd baseman Zack Lewis, outfielder Christian Tetrault, and pitcher Gavin Rose, took charge to lead this year’s varsity baseball team.

All of the seniors joined the team their freshman year, so playing together for the final time as seniors brought out the emotions of the players.

“One final ride with my boys. I’m definitely going to cry at the end of the season,” Lewis said.

With their last year to impress the college scouts, they all made sure to hit the weight room and gym to ensure an extra boost in their performance.

“I go to the gym 5 days every week and also throw [baseballs] and run regularly to make sure I stay in shape,” Terrill said.

For Rose, his hard work paid off with a full ride scholarship from Lawson State, a junior college located in Alabama.

“Lawson State offered me a scholarship to go play baseball for them in Birmingham, so I committed to play there. If I want to keep that offer, I need to continue to work hard,” Rose said.

Lewis also received an athletic scholarship from Georgia Highlands in Bartow County, and Terrill received a scholarship from the University of South Carolina Salkehatchie in Allendale, South Carolina and Chattahoochee State Community College in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Tetrault does not let the struggle of not having an offer from a college push him away from the game he loves.

“It just adds fuel to the fire. I’m going to continue to work hard in the gym and show out on the field to see if I can play this game even longer,” Tetrault said.

With all of the effort the four boys put in during the offseason, they all expect to lead the team to a successful year.

“I fully expect us to compete in the region this year. North Paulding will be the hardest team we play in the region this year, so if we can get through them, we should be fine against everyone else,” Lewis said.  

The Warriors won their first game of the season last Wednesday, the 14, by a score of 4-2 against the Sprayberry Yellowjackets. If you wish to see these boys in action, come out next Wednesday at the NC Baseball Field to see them take on the Wheeler Wildcats at 4 pm.

1 Comment

One Response to “Baseball seniors hope for one last home run of the season”

1. Amy Payne on March 8th, 2018 2:31 PM

What a great article written by my son, Turner. I have known and watched these young men play baseball for many years as Turner has played with Zack and Matt since the age of 4 through 10th grade and Gavin and Christian for about 5 years. They have all remained great friends! What a great tribute to these Senior Baseball players and good luck to them in the future!

[Reply]

• Baseball seniors hope for one last home run of the season

Risks without representation: Nationally, diverse classrooms without diverse educators

Get ready GHP, these five Warriors are coming your way

Atlanta Opera gives another masterful performance with Carmen

Quaile makes a mark in politics on Abrams campaign

Pinning with pride: NHS ceremony goes off without a hitch

Succulents, orchids, vegetables, and more: It’s time for the Annual Greenhouse Gang Plant Sale galore

LaPierre rises through the ranks and earns SkillsUSA state officer position

Boys lacrosse takes on second year of state playoffs

Infinity War leaves viewers in pieces

Warm weather? What now? The Chant’s spring bucket list