NC students discuss hot-topic issues with legislators

During+the+capitol+visit%2C+junior+Esteban+Alarcon+talked+to+lobbyists+who+recommended+he+talk+to+representative+Peak+and+senator+Thompson+about+the+legalization+of+marijuana%2C+something+Alarcon+feels+passionate+about.+He+plans+to+set+up+a+meeting+with+the+government+officials+to+discuss+the+topic+more.+%E2%80%9CI+had+the+opportunity+to+to+talk+to+some+lobbyists+and+then+they+directed+me+to+representative+Peak+and+senator+Thompson%2C+who+were+part+of+the+push+for+marijuana%2C%E2%80%9D+Alarcon+said.+

Photo courtesy of Sandra Weston

During the capitol visit, junior Esteban Alarcon talked to lobbyists who recommended he talk to representative Peak and senator Thompson about the legalization of marijuana, something Alarcon feels passionate about. He plans to set up a meeting with the government officials to discuss the topic more. “I had the opportunity to to talk to some lobbyists and then they directed me to representative Peak and senator Thompson, who were part of the push for marijuana,” Alarcon said.

Madeline Powers, General assistant

Junior Esteban Alarcon, junior Michelle Guzman, senior Kamille Suarez, senior Susana Chirinos, and senior Gabby Gonzales—all members of the HoPe club—went to Kennesaw State University for a training in civic engagement for the minority youth led by Maria Palacios from the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials (GALEO) on Friday, March 2.

“I learned so much. I did not know that we could call our own representatives and go up to them and just talk to them about what we want to change,” Guzman said.

The day started with meeting new people, where the students received an introduction of the day’s schedule. Students then commenced the training, learning about civic engagement and what the legislative session consists of, and practiced lobbying in the context of political issues.

At the training, students also learned about the technicalities of the Georgia legislature, bills and debates currently in session, and how to do a 30-second elevator pitch in order to prepare for their visit to the capitol on March 8, lobby day.

Lobby day consisted of coffee and donuts, a quick overview of how lobbying works by progressive champion for LGBTQ equality at the Georgia State Capitol Larry Pellegrini, a tour of the capitol, a picture with governor Nathan Deal, and leisure time to speak with senators and representatives. Each student received the chance to choose an organization they wished to join to lobby on specific issues, such as immigration (Latin American Association and GALEO), Lupus (Lupus foundation), or education. The students also gained the opportunity to speak to any Georgia representative about any bill.

“I felt like my small little voices could be heard throughout many other people, I just have to go, talk, and stand up for what I believe in,” Guzman said.

Each student chose a topic they felt passion for to fight about. Guzman chose to approach the subject of women’s rights, Suarez chose to explore the education system, and Chirinos brought up the problem regarding refugees and asylum inclusion. Gonzales fought for no guns in school, a hot topic among legislators, and Alarcon fought for the legalization of marijuana.

“I was fighting for the legalization of marijuana because I felt like it was a topic not many people were paying attention to because of all of the craze over gun control and immigration,” Alarcon said.

Overall, the group of five high schoolers, middle schoolers in the Atlanta area, and  KSU students all learned about their local government and how they can project their voices to make an impact in their communities.