Boys lacrosse team takes one loss and one victory

The boys Warrior lacrosse team destroyed The Darlington School and junior Shemar Samual scored a total of 4 times. The team will next play South Cobb High School on Wednesday, April 18.

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton, Reporter, Photographer

During the week of April 9, the NC boys varsity lacrosse team played the Gainesville High School Red Elephants and the Darlington School Tigers. After splitting the games, NC’s record sits at 5-8.

“The team played very well by improving our offense from previous games. We had better ball movement and more people who were taking dodges. Our defense played well, but our goalie also stepped up and made incredible saves,” junior Noah Mckouen said.

On Wednesday, April 11, the Warriors lost 6-7 against the Gainesville High School Red Elephants. After the Warriors scored three goals in the first quarter, Gainesville managed to catch up during the second quarter and level the playing field, bringing the game into overtime.

Junior Shemar Samual, senior Alan Berkoski, and freshman Reagan Mullinax all scored during regulation. In the extra period, Gainesville struck before NC could clinch the victory.

During their next game on Friday, April 13 against the Darlington School Elephants, the Warriors bounced back to win 13-2. After a difficult loss on Wednesday, the Warriors played well on all fronts throughout their victory.

Mckouen, Samual, and freshman Trent Nolen all scored multiple times to contribute to their sizable score. Mckouen also won all but two faceoffs due to technical penalties during the game.

“I played well on Friday and proved that by winning almost every single face off, scoring three goals, and having an assist,” Mckouen said.

After the Warriors gained an eight goal lead, the first line defense stepped down and Coach Almy put in junior varsity and swing players for a chance to gain experience. Freshmen Jonah McKouen, Brendan Rice, and Cameron Tracy all played during the last quarter.

Although the Warriors took a loss on Wednesday, the athletes came together and beat the Tigers on Friday. They plan to work more at practice on ground balls and defense when the varsity team travels to South Cobb for their game on Wednesday, April 18.

Isabella Keaton, Features Editor

Senior Isabella Keaton is features editor of The Chant as well as vice president of NC’s Theatre Thespian troupe 4225. Throughout her childhood, Keaton...