Dixon sings his way into a coveted spot in GHP

May 15, 2018

Photo courtesy of Holly Botella

Sophomore Joshua Dixon will attend GHP for choral singing as a bass singer.

Another student specializing in fine arts, sophomore Joshua Dixon will attend GHP for choral singing. Dixon first auditioned with the popular Italian choral piece titled Sebben Crudele composed by Antonio Caldara, and used this piece throughout the entire GHP audition process.

“I only performed one song throughout the entire audition because that was the only song I was really comfortable with,” Dixon said.

Dixon prepared for each audition with countless rehearsals and run-throughs of the song. He met with chorus director Holly Botella as she guided him through this competitive process.

“I talked to my teacher and tried to make sure what song was appropriate for myself and which songs I was comfortable performing. I got feedback from multiple people because everyone has different views about how to showcase myself,” Dixon said.

Authough Dixon already auditioned for other choral opportunities, this experience provided him with new challenges.

“For the first round, I was pretty nervous because it wasn’t something I’ve ever done before. I’ve done auditions, but GHP was just really high-risk and the stakes were really high and competitive. The last round at Berry was nerve-wracking because everyone there was good, and I knew that that was it and I was so close,” Dixon said.

After receiving his acceptance letter, Dixon now prepares himself for the once in a lifetime experience he will endure over the summer. Excited to meet new, talented performers, he already plans to learn many new techniques with the intention of one day becoming a music director himself.

“I’m really excited to be around people that love to do the same thing I do at the level that I do it. We’ve already started connecting, and I’m ready to meet new people and have new experiences because it only happens once,” Dixon said.