Seniors enjoy a privilege, accept a loss

Rachel Maxwell

Seniors started off the new school year shocked by the amount of changes involving privileges. Although the majority of changes made seniors happy, like the courtyard becoming strictly for them, others left them upset, such as the removal of senior quotes. Seniors, excited about new things coming, prepare to take on the new year.

Rachel Maxwell, Social Media Editor

As the 2018-2019 school year kicked off, administration imposed new rules on NC—some good, some bad. These rules, such as the senior courtyard and the removal of senior quotes, sparked unrest throughout all grade levels.

Over the summer, rumors of the removal of senior quotes for the 2019 class began to spread. Noticeable mistakes and inappropriate comments filled the published 2018 yearbook pages, causing a potential decision to cut quotes. Backlash from the upset rising seniors began as students on the yearbook team started confirming the rumors.

“At first I thought it was a joke, that the school was just saying that they were thinking about taking them away but they weren’t really going to do it. When I found out it was true, I was really shocked because senior quotes are a thing you always see in the movies, and now that it’s our turn to get them they are being taken away,” senior James Craig said.

In an Instagram poll, Craig asked students if signing a petition to bring back the beloved quotes interested them; 75 students said yes, while only six students said they did not care for the quotes.

“The idea of me starting a petition was really just a ‘what if’ at first, but right now I am in the stages of getting the right things needed to be put into the petition to be sent to the right people in charge,” Craig said.

Additionally, the new senior courtyard rule came as a punch in the face to sophomores and juniors. During homeroom announcements on the first day of school, students heard they would now need to show a student ID before accessing the courtyard, and those without a senior ID cannot enter the courtyard during lunch.

“Giving the seniors the courtyard was a way for us to make senior year a little more special. It also helps us better supervise 10th and 11th grade students,” Principal Moody said.  

Although Moody did not hear any major backlash from students after making the decision, students expressed negative emotions, especially sophomores.

“I feel its very unfair to juniors and sophomores, especially sophomores because they were looking forward to the freedom of sitting outside, and then it was taken away,” sophomore Kaitlyn Main said.

Due to current humid conditions, few students eat in the courtyard, but as the autumn weather rolls in and more students feel more comfortable eating outside, the rule will come into full effect. Seniors will miss bringing their underclassman friends outside with them, and juniors and sophomores will miss the privilege and freedom.