FCCLA holds its annual enchilada meal fundraiser

FCCLA members meet in the culinary room Monday afternoons, improving their culinary schools and creating new relationships. Students appear thrilled as they prepare components of the enchilada meal. “Everyone in FCCLA is super nice,” sophomore Kiara Kisor said.

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim

Jessica Joachim, Photographer

Young female cooks trickled into the culinary room, washed their hands, tied their aprons, and put on their pleated hats as FCCLA held its annual meal assembly fundraiser on Monday, August 27. Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) allows passionate students to meet every Monday in the culinary room from 3:40 to 5:30 and cook meals for staff members.

“The fundraiser provides teachers with meals [that they pre-order] for their families. All meals are fully cooked, so the only request is for them to put in the oven to reheat,” Culinary Arts teacher Chelsea Hughey said.

Jessica Joachim
FCCLA members stand in assembly line form, creating a productive and convenient way for the production of the enchilada meals. The student-produced meals enables teachers to reheat meals, setting aside more time for family. “Without students’ hard work in the kitchen, these meals would never be possible,” Hughey said.

This year, 50 teachers ordered meals. Like clockwork, culinary students constructed the components, and FCCLA members put together the feasts for the teachers’ enjoyment.  

“It’s just an awesome environment; you get caught up on everyone’s life and it’s fun, we talk and make jokes,” junior Tatiana Londono said.

Students also see improvement through FCCLA, as the club positively impacts the lives of all the members by introducing new skills and charitable lessons.

“I have definitely learned to cook food so I’m not starving anymore. Peanut butter and jelly is not my life anymore,” Londono said.

Jessica Joachim
Londono pours the sauce, that teachers will use to revive the pre-cooked enchiladas prior to serving. Londono, a member since freshman year, enjoys spending her Monday afternoons at FCCLA. “It’s just an awesome environment,” Londono said.

Demonstrating the skills of its members, FCCLA divided the making of enchiladas into steps performed by individual members. Londono poured the sauce, ensuring all teachers received a container, while fellow member sophomore Kiara Kisor prepared the meat, ensuring that the flavor remained present throughout the dish.

Jessica Joachim
Kisor mixes together the ingredients of the enchiladas. Kiara focused on the meat, assuring the enchiladas are well seasoned and ready for arrangement for the teachers. Many teachers appreciate the help in getting a “home-cooked” meal on the table on busy nights.

“Teachers really enjoy receiving a cooked meal so they don’t need to stress about making a meal that night and have more time for family,” Kisor said.

As the club leader, Hughey watched over the fundraiser and her students eagerly, and looks forward for years to come.

Jessica Joachim
Ms. Hughey demonstrates the task of assembling the enchilada meals. She teaches her students new skills and provides them the practice to produce in the kitchen. “I receive comments regularly about how the meals have made things so much easier for teachers and their families on school/work nights. I am always so happy to say the meals are all student prepared. The meal fundraisers give my students a reason and purpose for learning in class and a reward for teachers and their families at the end of the day,” Hughey said.

“I have seen students improve on skills because they have constant opportunities to practice. Outside of school FCCLA, students have increased responsibility, a pride in giving back to their teachers, teamwork, communication, and most of all— creating relationships. It has been a true pleasure to see,” Hughey said.

Jessica Joachim, Photgrapher

Jessica Joachim is a junior at North Cobb and is beginning her first year in journalism, hopefully as a photographer. Jessica is in the magnet program...