Marching band’s first foray into fall competition

courtesy of Reggie Dill

As students march onto the football field, they mentally prepare themselves to attempt a perfect performance. The NC Marching Band debuted their new, contemporary uniforms after a decade of wearing the older ones and played as well as they appeared. “The new uniforms have contributed to our show [by] giving the marchers a sleeker look on the field, and they also have a more modern appeal,” drum major and senior Mallory Luense said.

Shannon Rapp, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The NC Marching Band traveled to Allatoona High School for their first competition on Saturday, September 22. Although temporarily an incomplete show, the band went into the competition ready to demonstrate the hard work they put into the first two acts of Incandescence.

“I think our first competition was a good learning tool that is going to help us prepare for the rest of the season. While this was the earliest weekend we have ever performed during a season, we were able to introduce the new look of the NC marching band to the community,” senior flute player Lizzy Joines said.

The day kicked off with a three-hour practice on the football field, giving students the opportunity to perfect their drills without the assistance of their normal practice field markings. Students rehearsed the first and second acts of the show under the sweltering heat and furthered the excellence showcased in the performance.

“This year has gone spectacular; the way the show has unfolded has blown my mind. It is truly a story that could change someone’s life. The competition went super well, but we still have some way to go on our journey to success,” drum major and senior Mallory Luense said.

Upon their arrival at Allatoona High School, the band warmed up before finally taking the field to perform. The performance held up with the band’s already high expectations, which resulted in a placement of second overall in their class. In addition to placing second overall, the percussion section received first place for their performance, elating all members of the band.  

“Considering at the time of the competition the show was not finished, getting second in our class was an accomplishment,” junior color guard member Faith Jean said.

As the marching band moves further into their season, their third and final act will begin to take form, and fans can expect them to perform the entire show in the upcoming future. Their next competition will take them to Sprayberry High School to compete in the annual Southern Invitational Music Festival on October 20.

“We are becoming more comfortable with the acts that we know and are quickly on our way to finishing the show. I feel especially proud of our performance at the competition, and I can’t wait to see how much we improve throughout the rest of the season,” Joines said.