Can’t we all just sing along?

Music+overcomes+cultural+and+linguistic+barriers%2C+as+it+sounds+the+language+of+the+heart+and+soul.+As+a+universal+language%2C+music+communicates+and+shares+meaning+beyond+ordinary+words.+Through+music%2C+various+cultures+and+ethnicities+unite+as+the+human+race.+
Music overcomes cultural and linguistic barriers, as it sounds the language of the heart and soul. As a universal language, music communicates and shares meaning beyond ordinary words. Through music, various cultures and ethnicities unite as the human race.

MC Toth

MC Toth

MC Toth, Reporter, Photographer

Celebrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 70th anniversary, 2018’s International Day of Peace (“Peace Day”) brought global harmony on Friday, September 21. To illuminate international unity, NC showcased “AVoice4Peace” (AV4P)’s film in its new theater, sharing three musicians’ travels to Kenya in search of music and peace.

Working to enrich the relationship between Kenyan ethnic groups whose divisions challenge the country’s prosperity, AV4P uses music to unite people and de-escalate violence and conflict. Based out of Nairobi, Kenya, AV4P embraces the diverse tribal groups’ customs, cultures, and heritage expressed in their melodies. The AV4P chamber choir incorporates Florida State University’s festival singers and Nairobi chamber choir members attempting to heal the world through song.

“[Music] is an international language. The language of the heart and soul. It builds [an] understanding [that] can bring us together,” AV4P director and head of Florida State ensemble Kevin Fenton said.

In Africa, music represents life. With different songs for victories, losses, funerals, and weddings, tribes illuminate others through their music.

“We should make [these expressions] something we are proud of, not something that divides us,” vocalist coach and Nairobi Chamber Chorus soloist Maureen Obadha said.

Surrounded by safaris and park reserves, as the Nairobi sun rises, the flora, fauna, wind, and water play instruments of the terrain. The simultaneous morning nature sounds resemble the diverse African ensembles’ cultural soul language. The film showed that to coexist, humanity must learn to embrace all diversity, beauty, and wonder.

“[Because music is a community effort], I hope it [connects] people in my country [and around] the world [as we learn] to walk together,” Nairobi Sentinel Mara Camp co-owner Peter Twycross said.

In the film, the AV4P group visited Kibera Magoso, a primary school for orphaned kids who cannot afford schooling, to attend a chorus performance. The music brought people happiness and peace and united them through love within the impoverished community.

“[Although] these people are living in completely inhumane situations, the happiness they express [through music] is unfathomable. All of a sudden, [you are] surrounded by beautiful souls and such humanity,” film director and Nairobi Chamber Chorus member Ken Wakia said.

Human nature emotionally drives people to collect in something greater. By uniting people’s happiness with music, AV4P connects humanity in a larger family through song. Rising above ethnic differences and welcoming a binding culture of nonviolence, AV4P strives to push for universal peace everyday— especially on The International Day of Peace.