Move over ladies! Homecoming court introduces boys to the royalty

Isabella Keaton

After countless days of anticipation, Homecoming queen and king received their crowns on Friday, October 5 at the Homecoming football game.

Naoshin Kaiser, Reporter/Photographer

For the first time in NC history, NC’s student government Tribal Connections (TC) invited boys to join Homecoming court. Usually, the student body nominates only girls for court and nominate boys for Hoopcoming court in the spring. This year, TC decided to take Homecoming court in a more inclusive direction.

The nominations for Homecoming court consisted of princes and princesses, and now, Hoopcoming must surrender its nominations. Since boys and girls participate in Homecoming court, TC plans not to host a court for Hoopcoming.

“We wanted to take a different angle this year; the guys are always asking to be included, so we said ‘why not,’” senior and Court Coordinator Kelsey Dotson said.

Students casted votes for court nominations in homeroom on September 19, and Tomahawk Today announced nominations on Friday, September 21. The prince court consisted of students from all four grade levels:

Seniors: Chike Asuzu, Nick Crafton, Jacob Robinson, and Christian Singleton

Juniors: Joshua Dixon and Baldwin Ndogo

Sophomores: Landon Barrett and Cobe Singleton

Freshman: Alex Acosta   

All of the boys took obvious pride in participating as the first males on court for nomination. Each of them represented their grade levels and eagerly engaged in all of the Homecoming customs.

“I’m glad that I’m one of the first guys to be on here; I’ve wanted to ever since freshman year and now I can. It always intrigued me, and I feel honored to be one of the first guys on court,” Robinson said.

The court practiced on the football field during fourth block to prepare for the announcement of the winners at the Homecoming football game on Friday, October 5. Each boy chose a female figure who holds importance in his life to escort him down the football field.

The shift into both boys and girls on court created an enthusiastic environment that unified the student body during the Homecoming season.

“I think it’s great to incorporate both genders. It really unifies us as a school and it’s a really nice event for everybody, and I think it will generate more turnout,” Barrett said.

At the Homecoming Football Game, the crowd waited at the edge of their seats as the announcement of Homecoming King and Queen awaits. Christian Singleton took the title of NC’s first ever Homecoming King with pride for representing a new tradition to NC.