Are you a broke teen? Read this!

Teens+will+take+any+opportunity+to+collect+money%3B+from+babysitting+to+taking+online+surveys%2C+a+number+of+daily+jobs+can+earn+a+decent+amount+of+coin.+%E2%80%9CWorking+helps+me+make+extra+money+for+myself%2C+as+well+as+getting+experience+and+something+to+put+on+my+resume+for+the+future%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+Zola+Morgan+said.++

Are you a broke teen? Read this!

Teens will take any opportunity to collect money; from babysitting to taking online surveys, a number of daily jobs can earn a decent amount of coin. “Working helps me make extra money for myself, as well as getting experience and something to put on my resume for the future,” senior Zola Morgan said.

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp, Entertainment Editor

As a teenager, finding ways to earn money can become a difficult task as a minor and as a busy student. An inevitable feeling of guilt can overcome any teen when constantly nagging parents for “just a little more money to go out with friends.” However, if a teen earns his own cash, it will teach and put the responsibility of managing money on his shoulders. Teens can execute a variety of different easy jobs to earn money.

Applying for a job: As the most obvious way to make money, starting a job teaches responsibility, how to interact with co-workers and customers, and how to have patience. At a baseline of $7.25 an hour, minimum wage payments only increase depending on the state, as well as the location of employment. At that rate, teens can stack up bucks with ease.

Babysitting: In order to successfully babysit and prepare oneself for the responsibility of another person’s life, a teen should take a CPR class— most of which cost almost nothing— so that parents can trust them to watch over their children. Wages for babysitting vary between families; however, the standard payment ranges from $10 to $20 per hour, so teens can expect to see the number in their bank account rise after only two or three days.

Take online surveys: Swagbucks, a survey website launched in 2008, gives back money to its survey-takers in the form of gift cards to places like Target, Walmart, and Old Navy. Although the site does not reimburse its users with cash to spend anywhere, gift cards equally reimburse teens for the time spent taking surveys.

Tutor: If a teen finds himself finishing homework with ease, helping out a  struggling classmate for a low wage proves a successful way to gain extra money. Posting signs around the community makes the tutoring services scope larger than just those a teen attends school with. In fact, a majority of parents pay a decent amount of money to their child’s tutors, staring at forty dollars an hour and only rising as subjects increase in difficulty.

Sell Items: Turn unwanted items into cash with the click of button on the app Letgo. Letgo allows for patrons to set prices for their items and allows negotiation between buyers and sellers. Teens can sell unwanted clothing, old phones, musical instruments, and even cars to make a quick buck.

Although a number of limitations trap high schoolers in the box of stereotypical teen jobs, the drive to earn money surmounts any inhibitions. Several opportunities present themselves to teens as a way to earn money, and teens should embrace every single one to find ways around their empty wallet.

Shannon Rapp, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Senior Shannon Rapp, entertainment editor to The Chant, is a three year veteran on staff this year. With an interest in journalist writing, she joined...