Now featuring: Will Hargis

Rachel Maxwell

Will Hargis teaches AP and on-level Psychology along with Melanie Shelnutt, who will retire later this year. In addition to advising multiple clubs, Hargis will take over the full AP psychology program beginning next school year. “I enjoy being a role model for the kids, and I have never regretted taking on so much in the school. I know that I am ready to take over the AP psych program,”Hargis said.

Rachel Maxwell, Social Media Manager

Important role model, and NC’s resident dad, Will Hargis, joined the NC staff as a History teacher in 2011. Seven years later, not only would he teach on-level and AP Psychology, coach girls golf and freshman football, become the adviser for Interact club, but he also holds the reputation of the most influential teacher at NC.

Before Hargis started teaching, he worked in sales-after earning a marketing degree-for the majority of his life. Finding himself unhappy, he went back to school for a second degree in History at Kennesaw State University

“I did not always want to be a teacher. I was just always intellectually curious and enjoyed learning new things. I was unhappy with the business world and the grind of it all,”  Hargis said.

Hargis became the sponsor of Interact Club his second year teaching and grew the club from only 15 members to over 50 in a matter of two years. The club hosts different fundraisers through the year to help others in need, such as Pennies for Patients, where the club raises money for cancer patients. Hargis feels Interact allows members to see life from a different perspective.

“I want kids to understand that things are not always as great as they might seem, but more importantly that things are not always as bad as they seem. If I put teens in a position where they get to see underprivileged kids or disabled kids, it is a good way to keep things into perspective for not only myself but for my students and own children,” Hargis said.

AP psychology teacher Melanie Shelnutt, retiring after 40 years of teaching, will fully hand off the AP Psychology program to Hargis at the end of this school year. The two created a close bond over their love of teaching psychology with Hargis holding Shelnutt’s words close to his heart as she told him that teaching does not revolve around how much you know, but how much you care about the students.

“I have no fears about the AP [Psychology] program because it will survive and thrive with Mr. Hargis. He loves the curriculum, he wants to learn more, and he has been an avid student since he started teaching the curriculum. We have worked really well together, and I am excited for the future. I feel like it is the best time for me to leave with him in charge,” Shelnutt said.

After teaching AP psych for two years, Hargis feels prepared to take on the whole program, claiming only to worry about how seriously students will take the class. Hargis wants to use teaching techniques he learned from Shelnutt, but also intends on making the AP program his own by adding more humor and storytelling to make the class enjoyable for everyone.

Hargis typically spends between 10 to 12 hours a day working, while still prioritizing a relationship with his family. This year, to cut down on stress and give himself time to focus on the AP psychology program, Hargis decided to step down from coaching freshman football.

Students of Hargis look up to him as not only a teacher, but as someone they can trust. He forms close relationships with students and enjoys serving as a positive role model for them. He takes pride in his yearly nominations as a Sources of Strength teacher and feels that creating close relationships with his students makes them work harder for him, whether in his class, sports, or clubs.

“I first had Hargis my freshman year and I thought he was just a goofy guy with way too much time to play trivia, but over the four years—after being very involved in Interact Club and having him again for AP Psychology—he became like a father figure to me. He really pushed me to be my best, but let me know it was okay to fail every now and then. Without him, I would not have graduated valedictorian or be where I am,” former NC student Sarah Punch said.

Hargis continues to inspire students with his crazy life stories and unique teaching style. He wants all of his students to know they can find a safe place with him, and he will always try to give them the best advice. He plans on growing the girls’ golf team and cannot wait to see where Interact club and the AP psychology program will take him in the future.