Let your thoughts flow: Meditation Club encourages mindfulness

At the Mathur family’s meditation center, people of all ethnic backgrounds gather and hold hands to meditate together. “Meditation helps people learn how to cope with life and clear excess thoughts and baggage,” sophomore Vedika Mathur said.

Elyssa Abbott

Elyssa Abbott, Photographer/ Reporter

Starting last school year, sophomore Vedika Mathur founded a meditation club at NC. With her club, Mathur wants to spread the practice of meditation. The club, unfortunately, halted due to busyness, but will start up next semester. Club sponsor Sheldon Frazier holds the club meeting in the band room on Tuesdays until 4:20 p.m.

Mathur grew up with meditation in her family, and immersed completely into meditation around a year ago. Her family owns a meditation center and participates in meditation camps several times throughout the year. The Mathur family also holds meditation sessions at their house once every two weeks.

“Meditation has helped me settle into myself and find my inner being. It has given me wings and a sense of real love, compassion, and freedom. The joy and blissfulness that comes from the meditation, I share with others,” Mathur said.

Contrary to popular belief, meditation does not have a cultural background. It originates from India, but Mathur believes that its origin should not limit all types of people from different backgrounds from trying meditation.

“Meditation is beautiful because anyone and everyone can participate. There is not one culture that ties to meditation, so all people can try it,” Mathur said.

Meditation helps with multiple aspects of life, especially for stressed out high school students. It builds focus and concentration, which students find useful during class. It also reduces depression, eases stress and anxiety, and helps regulate the sleep cycle. Spiritually, meditation can encourage self knowledge, compassion, and empathy.

Due to the improvements it causes in student’s lives, Mathur encourages all to experiment with meditation. At a typical meeting, Mathur will explain how to meditate and then the group will undergo a session. Students can use the practice to release stress and tension after a long day at school.

“Students should participate in meditation because it will help them in clearing their minds from unnecessary thoughts and baggage. It can help them focus and be more dedicated [in schoolwork],” Mathur said.

Elyssa Abbott
Also at the Mathur’s meditation center, people sit in silence and darkness to focus their minds on important things, and learn how to strengthen their emotions and compassion. “I am eager to try and expand different meditations and show the club that,” Mathur said

Elyssa Abbott, Photographer/Reporter

Elyssa Abbott, a sophomore in the Magnet Program at NCHS, joined newspaper to pursue her dream profession of being a journalist. The youngest of 3, Abbott...