Swinging into spring brings baseball

Swinging into spring brings baseball

NC’s varsity baseball team rallies together before heading out on the field, excited for the season to start.

Dehlin Lee

Dehlin Lee

Dehlin Lee

Dehlin Lee, Reporter, Photographer

The NC baseball season began with tryouts the week of January 14 and will have their first home game against Paulding County High School on Monday, February 11.

Last season, the Warriors won 13 games and lost 19 and look to improve with new talent and new players from the freshman class of 2022.

Junior infielder Andrew Martinez believes that the team works together very well and each player brings their own skill to the field.

“We are all excited to be back playing on the same field again and ready to win together,” Martinez said.  

Sophomore catcher Harry Ford plans to help the incoming freshman with learning new techniques and helping them adjust to the busy student-athlete life.

“I could help them with some mistakes that I might see and understand the time and effort they have to put in to become successful at the sport,” Ford said.

Dehlin Lee
The NC baseball team feels ready for tryouts to begin and start the season. “It is important for the team to take setbacks and use them to get better as the game goes on,” Coach Michael Turchan said.

In addition to new players on the team, a new coach joined the NC baseball coaching staff for the season. After a great season coaching the varsity Lady Warriors softball team, Coach Terri Daniels joined the coaching staff for the junior varsity baseball team.  

With Daniels’ college baseball background, the NC baseball team anticipates great coaching skills and warmly welcomes Coach Daniels to their team.

With seven wins and eight losses regionally, the NC baseball team looks to improve their ratio this season. Assistant varsity coach Michael Turchan hopes to win the region game to give the team the best shot at the ultimate game, the state championship.

“We have many returning players, and I am excited to see their growth and ready to see them compete,” Turchan said.

With a promising season ahead of them, NC baseball players plan to put their all into the upcoming season and come out victorious. A gold state championship trophy gleams behind their eyes as the season begins.

Dehlin Lee, Reporter, Photographer

Dehlin Lee, a sophmore, begins her journey on The Chant to expose her to a whole new world of photography and writing. Lee aspires to be a Pediatric Orthodontist...