Cedric Pfeiler: Netherlands Bound

Cedric Pfeiler: Netherlands Bound

Pfeiler has always dreamt of returning to Europe, and the University of Groningen in the Netherlands gives him the chance to fulfill his desires of returning to experience college-life the Dutch way. Saying farewell to American student life in May, Pfeiler hopes to meet new people and adapt to the brand new lifestyle he will experience.

Angela Canales

Angela Canales

Angela Canales

Angela Canales, Reporter, Photographer

Magnet senior Cedric Pfeiler has big plans for after graduation, announcing his commitment to the University of Groningen in the Netherlands, where he will attend later this year. As one of the few NC seniors who has taken a chance at applying for a college abroad, Pfeiler made it his mission to find out what experiences life across the ocean can bring.

“I was born in Germany, and my family and I moved to the U.S. when I was two years old. I have always wanted to go back to Europe, and I thought college would be a great time to take advantage of that,” Pfeiler said.

With dreams of one day experiencing what his mother continent would unfold for him, Pfeiler plans on studying International Law at the University of Groningen with hopes of practicing law in different parts of the world, particularly the Netherlands.

“I am interested in International Relations and Law, so I will be studying

International Criminal Court in the Hague. The Netherlands is interesting because of its international involvement and high quality higher education,” Pfeiler said.

Pfeiler uses his skills from NC’s Magnet focus of “International Studies” when it comes to planning his future. With several seniors who have applied to a variety of colleges and universities out of state and internationally, the idea of enhancing and broadening one’s perception of the world remains one of the essential reasons and motivations for doing so.

“I do think that we live in an interconnected world, so it is important for us to understand other cultures or even get exposed to [a] life that is just a little bit different to what we are typically used to,” Pfeiler said.

When it comes to moving to a different country on an entirely different continent, Pfeiler admits he will face sadness with the final goodbyes and farewells he will eventually give to his Georgia friends and family.

“It is kind of sad, but at the same time I feel like I will have lots of opportunities abroad, and most of my family still lives in Europe,” Pfeiler said.

In hopes of discovering his path in the Netherlands, Pfeiler prepares himself for a global experience that will not only enhance his educational and career pathways but enhance his perception of the world through experiencing college life on a different continent.