A night to remember: Why you should go to prom

Dehlin Lee, Reporter, Photographer

While some dread the day of prom, the night represents the culmination of years of high school and arguably the biggest night of one’s senior year. Whether or not one looks forward to prom, the night makes for quality time spent with amazing friends and memories that will last a lifetime. Prom does not just include the dressing up, pictures, and overpriced dinners, it also gives students irreplaceable moments.

Although the preparation before the dance can take longer than prom itself, students can enjoy the time together; sometimes these moments make up the best part of prom. For girls, doing up their hair and makeup—and for boys, the excitement of seeing the girl they asked out to prom—overtakes the stress of buying outfits and tickets.

Even if one does not attend prom with a date, that should not stop them from attending the dance. Every high school student should attend at least one prom, not only for the tradition, but for the overall experience as well.

Prom, unlike homecoming, includes more than just a fun-filled night of dancing. Some prom venues include finger food and amenities like photo booths and fun props for students to use inside the photo booth. Although even if students do not like dancing and hate pictures, seniors’ attendance to prom marks the end of their high school career.

“It is good to go to school events, and prom is a fun place to hang out with your friends and get all dressed up for the night and stand out. It is a good part of the high school memories and experience,” junior Trinity Wilkinson said.

All upperclassmen throughout the school, and the few lucky underclassmen that  attend the special night, will talk about all the memories at prom for days after the event, and missing out on the fun everyone talks about can elicit the discomforting “out of the loop” feeling. The regret of not attending when the hype of prom spreads around the school can produce a feeling of loneliness—a result of the fear of missing out (FOMO).

Prom becomes a tradition for a reason: students love it and parents enjoy watching their kids wear an outfit unique to their uniform leggings and a t-shirt. The night marks the culmination of four years of hard work, leaving high school, and growing up into an adult. By choosing not to attend prom, students do not live their full high school experience and miss out on an opportunity that defines the beauty of being young and carefree.