Annual Big Shanty Festival wows community once again

For+over+eleven+years%2C+the+Baker+Elementary+School+chorus+sings+their+way+into+the+hearts+of+patrons+at+the+Big+Shanty+Festival.+This+year%2C+director+Fonda+Riley+directed+students+on+stage+as+they+sang+five+songs.+%E2%80%9CAt+first%2C+I+was+a+bit+scared%2C+well%2C+nervous%2C+and+I+was+honestly+excited+too+because+I+had+a+solo.+I+couldn%E2%80%99t+wait+to+perform+in+front+of+all+those+people%2C%E2%80%9D+Baker+Elementary+fourth-grader+Zo%C3%AB+Zavala+said.+

For over eleven years, the Baker Elementary School chorus sings their way into the hearts of patrons at the Big Shanty Festival. This year, director Fonda Riley directed students on stage as they sang five songs. “At first, I was a bit scared, well, nervous, and I was honestly excited too because I had a solo. I couldn’t wait to perform in front of all those people,” Baker Elementary fourth-grader Zoë Zavala said.

Photo courtesy of Alan Riley

Photo courtesy of Alan Riley

Photo courtesy of Alan Riley

Shannon Rapp, Entertainment Editor

The City of Kennesaw held its annual Big Shanty Festival this past Saturday, April 13 and Sunday, April 14. Festivities began with a parade starting at Adams Park and through Main Street. Floats, NC’s marching band, and over a thousand children representing all of Kennesaw’s sports associations participated in the parade.

“I enjoy marching in the Big Shanty Parade because you get to see many people ranging from young to old. To be able to finish off my marching band experience and senior year marching in the parade makes me happy,” senior Shelby Ruhl said.

With over 250 booths to explore, people from all over Georgia came to enjoy the festival. Booths included arts and crafts, food vendors, merchants, and fundraisers. The impending gloomy weather on Sunday brought on Saturday’s cool, cloudy weather—perfect conditions to enjoy a weekend of family fun at the festival.

“I liked how many people showed up to the festival. It’s so awesome to see our community come together,” senior Moya Perez said.

Live entertainment gave attendees the opportunity to sit down and give their feet a break while enjoying singing acts, dancing, and a variety of other performances. As an annual act at the Big Shanty Festival, the Baker Bear Chorus performed at the Depot Stage under the direction of Fonda Riley.

“The kids love performing in [the festival] because we always try to do songs they will enjoy singing. We enjoy performing songs at Big Shanty the crowd can sing along to if they want,” Baker Bear choral director Fonda Riley said.

In addition to watching live entertainment, people could indulge in sweet and savory treats at the array of different food vendors. Delectable choices like funnel cakes, fresh lemonade, and corndogs fueled people as they explored the streets of downtown Kennesaw. As per usual, the Big Shanty Festival, sponsored by Superior Plumbing, offered nothing less than a fun-filled weekend that will continue as years pass.

“I think the festival continues every year because of the tradition and how much happiness it brings to others in our community,” Perez said.