NHS: Farewell seniors; hello juniors!

Angela Canales

Carrying the ceremony in its entirety, seniors with Tara Anastasoff and Jared Nolen lead the induction ceremony to the National Honors Society as co-presidents. Advisers Nena Tippens and Jennifer Johnson helped the ceremony run smoothly, leaving junior inductees and graduating senior members satisfied with the welcomes and goodbyes.

Angela Canales, Reporter, Photographer

NC’s chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) welcomed high-achieving juniors to the club and said farewell to current NHS senior members at the induction ceremony on Monday, April 29.

At the start of the month, NHS advisers Nena Tippens and Jennifer Johnson sent invitations for membership to juniors with a minimum 3.95 cumulative grade point average and an outstanding character at NC. Those who chose to commit to membership in NHS at the ceremony pledged to keep the legacy of excellence as current senior members move onto the next chapter of their lives.

An elegant candelabra, lit by current officers, symbolized the four defining characteristics of the club: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Called by name, juniors walked across the stage to proudly receive their induction certificates and gold pins from senior co-presidents Tara Anastasoff and Jared Nolen as the crowd of parents and seniors cheered on.

“I felt as though my three years so far in high school have led up to many moments; and me getting inducted and signing my name in the booklet is definitely one of those moments,” Magnet junior and inductee Valencia Ajeh said.  

The ceremony also served the purpose of honoring the seniors who dedicated time and passion into the club. They received their iconic NHS graduation stoles, and each walked across the stage to tell the audience where they would attend college in the fall and which major they selected.

“It was inspiring to see what the seniors accomplished, it made me realize that all your hard work in high school will be worth it in the end because it will help direct you to where you want to go in life,” Magnet junior inductee Trisha Nguyen said.

NHS will prepare for a new year’s worth of community service and scholarship with the juniors for the 2019-2020 school year, sending their seniors off with valuable experiences that will prove useful in the future.