An outlook on the next three months in cinema

This movie-goer excitedly shoves popcorn in her mouth in anticipation for the upcoming movies that will release in theaters. Kennesaw/Acworth locals can find any of the upcoming films they wish to see at NCG, AMC at Barrett Commons, or Regal Cinemas at Town Center.

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shanno Rapp, Entertainment Editor

As the middle of 2019 quickly approaches, the cinematic community has released a number of hits, as well as misses, such as After, Wonderpark, and A Madea Family Funeral. From the recent release of Avengers: Endgame to The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, a plethora of movies still await release in the remaining six months of the year.

The Sun is Also a Star- Friday, May 17

The much-awaited release of The Sun is Also a Star tells the love story of Daniel Bae (played by Charles Melton) and Natasha Kingsley (played by Yari Shahidi). The flick follows their story as Daniel attempts to convince Natasha that they belong together. Despite Natasha’s family’s impending deportation, Daniel fights to keep his budding romance with Natasha alive. Movie-goers interested in catching this film can head to their local movie theaters on Friday, May 17.

Aladdin- Friday, May 24

After the release of Dumbo back in March, Disney fans long for another live-action remake of an old favorite. Aladdin will hit theaters on Friday, May 24. The classic story follows Aladdin, a poor street rat, and his journey after releasing a genie from a magic lamp. The film stars Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine, and Will Smith as Genie.

Toy Story 4- Friday, June 21

After almost an entire decade since the release of Toy Story 3, Pixar fans can finally bring back out their Woody and Jessie dolls for the release of Toy Story 4. The film will hit theaters on Friday, June 21 and tell the story of Bonnie, the little girl at the end of the third film and her adventures with Woody and her new toy, Forky.  

Spiderman: Far from Home– Tuesday, July 2

Avengers: Endgame completely blew the minds of Marvel fans with thrilling scenes and heartbreak when it released on April 26. As a sequel to Endgame, Spiderman: Far from Home, Peter Parker must deal with the aftermath of all the events that took place, but first, he takes a vacation to Europe in hopes of healing and relaxing. However, much to Peter’s dismay, his responsibilities as Spider-Man follow him to Europe as Nick Fury requests his help to stop Mysterio from wreaking havoc across Europe. The film will hit theaters on Tuesday, July 2.

The Lion King- Friday, July 19

Disney continues its series of live-action remakes with the release of The Lion King on Friday, July 19. The movie follows the journey of Simba as he attempts to take back what rightfully belongs to him (the throne in Pride Rock) after the death of his father and his exile. With the help of Timon and Pumba, Simba will hopefully figure out how to grow up and take back the throne.

With summer 2019 quickly approaching, films release more rapidly than ever. Cinema fans can look forward to a multitude of different flicks, ranging from live-action to comedy, at any local theater.