Behind the Scenes: Mrs. Epps, hard-working Renaissance woman and proud Warrior

Many+fail+to+recognize+the+immense+work+that+Mrs.+Epps%2C+right+hand+woman+to+Mr.+Stephenson%2C+Magnet+coordinator%2C+puts+in.+

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre

Many fail to recognize the immense work that Mrs. Epps, right hand woman to Mr. Stephenson, Magnet coordinator, puts in.

Tarleshia Jean-Pierre, Photographer

Mrs. Talu Epps, hidden superwoman of North Cobb, remains a crucial fixture around the school after 25 years.

“Magnet itself would not exist without her and her eye for detail,” Magnet coordinator Mr. Stephenson said.

Epps, right-hand woman to Stephenson, explained her role in the International Studies Magnet program.

“According to Stephenson, I do what he doesn’t. But I mostly do the activities for the Magnet kids, such as the Magnet open house,” Epps said.

Many students afterwards appreciated the recent event that aims to introduce local students to what North Cobb’s Magnet program offers. Eighth grader Angel Massey described the event as “amazing and very well planned out.”

But coordinating and organizing events for Magnet students is not the only duty Epps holds. Epps also organizes college tours, EOCT and AP testing, and world endeavors, such as the Belize trip.

Because of Epps’s tidy organizational habits, she can tackle multiple assignments at once. Perhaps her eye for detail comes from her prior knowledge in carpentry.  Epps returned to school many times because of her versatile interests. She attended Young Harris (with beloved Psychology teacher, Ms. Shelnutt), Kennesaw State, and North Georgia.

Epps shared that in her spare time she likes to “travel, garden, volunteer, make relishes and pastries, and help my 81-year old mother with her cottage business.” Epps truly loves North Cobb, as even her son, Grant Epps, graduated in 2003. Her favorite memory remains when “Principal McCloud cooked and served Thanksgiving dinner for the entire staff.” Epps says her biggest achievements are raising her children and being a Warrior.

“I have been a Warrior for 25 years, and I will always be a Warrior,” Epps proudly said.