Elyssa Abbott

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief

Elyssa Abbott, a senior in the Magnet program at North Cobb, joined the newspaper to pursue her dream profession of being a journalist. Youngest of 3, Abbott enjoys spending her free time watching movies, listening to music, and hanging out with her best friends. Traveling is a continuing aspiration for her future. She has already crossed some of her dream destinations off her bucket list. With the Magnet Program, Abbott has already traveled to Costa Rica, Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji. She plans on visiting Europe the summer after her senior year and hopes to study abroad in college.

Abbott’s interests include shopping, trying new coffee shops, and journaling. Working out and hiking are two of her favorite activities. On the weekends she volunteers with children at Northstar Church and spends time with her friends and family. After high school, Abbott hopes to pursue journalism, international studies, traveling, and mission trips, as those are the things she is most passionate about.

All content by Elyssa Abbott
As seen in the photograph, Jeff Bezos recognizes Matt Moody for his hard work and promotes him from Principal of NC to CEO of Amazon. “This was born for me, I do not understand why I didn’t receive it earlier. Now is better than never and I can’t wait to get my hands on… everything,” said Moody.

NC Principal takes over Amazon

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-chief
April 1, 2021
With the multitude of pathways available to invest, teenagers can put their money to good use as soon as they turn 18. No matter how small the amount, spending money to receive money in the long run can provide teenagers with a general understanding of investing in the future.

Adulting: Investing for Teens

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-chief
March 22, 2021
Writing down a couple of the tasks that you want completed today provides a guideline for the day that lies ahead. Checking off these tasks boosts productivity and will allow for even more productive days in the future. “Even if I just make a to-do list, it makes me feel in control of what I need to have done for school,” said Magnet senior Sophia Green.

How to find serenity in planning

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-chief
March 18, 2021
	The new Adulting Series by The Chant will guide high school students through the complicated process of becoming an adult, through articles about credit cards, paying for college, and saving money. The first installment highlights the pros and cons of opening a credit card at a young age.

How to adult: Credit cards

Elyssa Abbott, Editor in Chief
February 8, 2021
After finding out that in a few short months Magnet seniors Galaye Seck and Abbey Corley will make the journey to New York City for, at least, the next four years of their lives, both students felt pure joy and excitement for this next chapter. “The moment I found out I was accepted was one of the best feelings of my life. My mom and sister were on my side and it was a day of celebration for the whole family with lots of tears being shed,” said Seck.

College in the Big Apple

Elyssa Abbott, Editor in Chief
February 1, 2021
The misleading images of fitness 

The misleading images of fitness 

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-In-Chief
November 25, 2020
The lively atmosphere of Anchor Bar juxtaposed with live entertainment can be enjoyed outside or inside with versatile seating. The restaurant also hopes to expand on the restaurant and allow guests to play cornhole and other activities while dining.

From Buffalo to Kennesaw: Anchor Bar

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
November 17, 2020
Vision boards, a simple way to visualize a future that one would like to attract, all too often can become very materialistic. In this example, a career, relationship, and travel have been manifested. Long-term goals, along with a positive mantra, make manifesting become more realistic and attainable.

The myth of manifesting

Elyssa Abbott, Editor in Chief
November 10, 2020
The extensive array of dairy milk alternatives allows those who can not drink milk, due to lactose intolerance, a dairy allergy, or noticed a trend with acne related to dairy, an escape from it. Those who can drink dairy milk but choose not to, do so for important reasons, such as managing cholesterol levels or avoiding diseases linked to it.

The rise of alternatives to dairy

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-chief
October 23, 2020
Despite missing several players and coaches resulting in a loss against the Etowah Eagles, the Warrior lacrosse team gained knowledge and guidance from their unwanted outcome. They now understand where to hone skills and which positions need more drills. Overall, the team worked together, played well, and plan to continue to work harder.

Warriors lacrosse falter to Etowah

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
October 6, 2020
This year, partnering with the North Georgia State Fair, MUST Ministries will collect canned goods at the event. Each fair guest can donate seven non-perishable canned goods and in exchange will receive a free ticket to the 2021 North Georgia State Fair. Throughout the pandemic, MUST Ministries has provided much needed relief to the community by giving out food to those in need.

North Georgia Taste of the Fair

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
September 23, 2020
	Each real estate agent on the show Selling Sunset brings their own unique look and drama to the show, making viewers choose sides in the tension. “My favorite character is Christine [Quinn] because her outfits are so different from the other girls and she never holds back in drama,” said senior Sophia Green.

Selling Sunset stuns viewers on Netflix

Elyssa Abbott, Editor in Chief
September 3, 2020
	Working with the Tik Tok queen consists of hard work and high standards, as she demands nothing less than perfection from the NC step team. Charli D’Amelio practices “Renegade” over and over with the team until it looks Tik Tok worthy.

Charli D’Amelio “steps” in

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-chief
March 31, 2020
	43 years ago, Santa Rosa, California hosted the first major celebration honoring Women’s History Week. This small event transformed into a nationally recognized Women’s History Month and an internationally recognized day to commemorate women in March.

Celebrating women in March

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
March 20, 2020
Georgia Governor Brian Kemp recently received the mission to halt the spread of COVID-19, a new strand of coronavirus, in his state. The toll of confirmed cases reached 146 with one death related to the virus as of Tuesday, March 17. Almost immediately, Kemp implemented press conferences to discuss school closures and testing sites around the state.

COVID-19 comes to Georgia

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
March 18, 2020
	After defeating a tough competitor, Dalton High School, the NC Varsity boys lacrosse team celebrated. Hopefully, this win will happen once again this season with the help of a new coach, Dennis Desanctis. “Coach Descantis brings a knowledge of the game that we have not really had before, which can make our whole team better if we listen and act on his advice,” Goodsite said.

Lacrosse springs into a new season

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
January 28, 2020
After three months of preaching and teaching in Swaziland, NC alumni Maggie O’Bryan carries her memories of helping people from all walks of life with her. She will bring home these memories from Swaziland, Thailand and Nicaragua, and remember them for a lifetime.

Update: World Race

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
January 27, 2020
With students from both NC and Georgia Tech coming together to dance for the kids, they raised over $3,000 that will entirely go to CHOA. Through their dancing and fundraising, new friendships were made between high school and college students as they collectively worked towards helping children in need.

Dancing for the kids

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-Chief
January 21, 2020
The act of giving back involves far more than donating a large amount of money; one can always just sit down and write a heartfelt card to their loved ones, an act sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face. Children remember the holidays forever, so instead of memories of spending Christmas in the hospital, they will remember the kind words.

How to give back for Christmas

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
December 5, 2019
As the short lunch period comes to an end, students throw out their uneaten food that time did not allow for. The fast-paced lunch proves as just one of the numerous problems that lead to the monstrosity of food waste. Students need an adequate amount of time to consume food to fuel them through the rest of the day, along with decreasing food waste.

The war with food waste

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
December 4, 2019
Frozen 2 shows viewers a powerful story of an ice queen struggling to come to terms with her power and her friends working to help the kingdom they all care about deeply. It teaches determination and the importance of doing the right thing even when the choice does not come easy. Most importantly, this new movie inspires bravery and heroism with the help of catchy songs that will play in one’s head repeatedly, no matter your age.

“Show Yourself” to Frozen 2

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
November 25, 2019
Similar to other CW series, In The Dark focuses on a murder mystery, alcoholism, and Murphy Mason’s relationship problems, all while highlighting her everyday routine as a blind woman. After she finds her close friend, Tyson, murdered, she becomes involved with criminals and drug dealers.

In The Dark about this new show!! 

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
October 23, 2019
The lovely green color of matcha makes the perfect photo opportunity while energizing the body to prepare for the day ahead without the high-energy buzz of coffee drinks.

Matcha=superior

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
October 21, 2019
Cardi B’s flamboyant performance gripped fans as people sang and danced along to her most famous songs: “Bartier Cardi”, “Money Bag”, and “Bodak Yellow.” “Cardi B’s performance had fire and strobe lights, so it was very energetic. Everybody was dancing around me. It even ended with fireworks,” junior Skylar Chan said.

Music in the middle of Atlanta

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
September 17, 2019
The hardships of preparing for college

The hardships of preparing for college

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
September 12, 2019
New AP HuG teacher

New AP HuG teacher

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
August 28, 2019
The students excitedly learn with help from their new teaching aids and supplies as they prepare for their newly hopeful future. “Every single child deserves an education, not only in Ghana but in all areas of the world,” Tubo said. As of now, 80 bookbags and hundreds of school supplies and clothing arrive in Ghana.

Giving for Ghana

Elyssa Abbott, Features Editor
August 23, 2019
After leading the NC Magnet program for the past 12 years, Assistant Principal David Stephenson prepares to say farewell to his home away from home. “I will miss the people: teachers, staff, parents, and the kids who often come back to check in and share their successes,” Stephenson said. No doubt his new home at Woodland High School will welcome him with open arms.

Stephenson’s next step

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
May 9, 2019
A season full of growth and positivity, this year the girls on the lacrosse team felt they grew closer to each other and to the game. “My favorite part of lacrosse is definitely all the best friends I have made from playing, and the love for the game. I will miss my teammates and the long bus rides we had together,” senior Mahogani West said.

Girls lacrosse: season recap

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
May 8, 2019
Today, seniors at NC showed their fellow classmates what they hope to become in the future. Students dressed up as different career choices, including teachers, nurses, or even explorers and farmers. Senior Julia Snyder plans on attending Oglethorpe University in the fall to pursue a teaching degree. “I really love kids, and Oglethorpe recently added a teaching program to their school,” Snyder said.

Future careers in sight

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
April 23, 2019
With six yellow cards, NC gave it their all and played rough, which paid off in the end with a win. “It was a really difficult game, but everyone—especially defense—played extremely hard. There were a lot of emotions after the game watching the seniors being escorted down the field; it made the night much better,” sophomore Alyssa Curto said.

Senior night for girls Varsity lacrosse

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
April 19, 2019
Reminiscing on the class of 2017-2018, older siblings left behind large shoes to fill for those younger. “It is stressful to think about living up to expectations that you do not necessarily have control over, but as long as you work hard in whatever you do, I think that a last name does not define you,” sophomore Molly Geraci said.

Living up to the name

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
April 17, 2019
As the race rapidly approaches, Barnhart and O’Bryan ventured to Navarre Beach, Florida to build relationships with the other people they will travel within just four months. The strong friendship between Barnhart and O’Bryan already makes the transition to living out of their backpacks for nine months much easier, along with the budding friendships with the other girls participating.

Around the world in nine months

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
April 14, 2019
As prom creeps closer and closer, juniors and seniors frantically schedule last-minute appointments for their night to remember. Students make appointments for nails, hair, and makeup to ensure their pictures turn out as best as possible. T-minus three days until the Golden Gala!

Prom, prom, prom!

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
March 19, 2019
Tonight, NC’s Varsity soccer team will play against the Marietta Blue Devils at Marietta at 5:30 p.m. Right midfielder and sophomore Mayah Bourne feels nervous, as this competitive game holds high stakes for playoffs. “We beat North Paulding and they have a good reputation, so we need to beat Marietta to increase our chances for playoffs,” Bourne said.

Come support soccer

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
March 5, 2019
The stars tell me everything

The stars tell me everything

Elyssa Abbott, Reporter, Photographer
March 4, 2019
Load More Stories