Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers

Madeline “Maddie” Powers continues her career in Journalism as a senior at North Cobb, having published almost 50 pieces . She moves up this year, acting as one of our copy editors at The Chant. She is excited to take on this new challenge and edit more than her heart’s desire. 

She is truly one from the 70s, embracing the tye dye and jamming out to all and only the top hits from that era including “Friend of the Devil,” “Deal,” and “New Speedway Boogie,” by The Grateful Dead, not to mention her weird fascination with sunflowers, especially in a large field. She and her family all belong in that era, going to music festivals for weekends in their camper, and enjoying life in general as peaceful and light as it can be. Her happy attitude and constant smile bring positivity and sunshine everywhere she goes. 

When she thinks of what she wants to do with her life, her 70’s like tendencies stop, she wants to save lives and to change the world of medicine as much as she can so that more children and people in general can lead a long and healthy life. Her creative tendencies and strong innovation speak wonders for what she will be able to accomplish now and in the future. 

All content by Madeline Powers
The feeling of a failed gift

The feeling of a failed gift

Madeline Powers, Copy Editor
December 18, 2019
 The light guides those who believe to a newly assembled vision of religion. The sun shines through the cross, a symbol to Christian followers, and highlights the path one must take to reach that light.  Religion gives someone a new set of morals that he latches onto, something that changes their way of living. “I believed in Him, yes, but I didn’t change one thing about my life to prove that. I wasn’t following Him, I was a fan of Him,” World Race traveler and NC alumni Sam Barnhart said.

The power of faith

Madeline Powers, Copy Editor
December 6, 2019
As the ending to senior year and graduation swiftly approach for NC’s juniors and while NC watches as the seniors depart, new adventures will start, new group chats will form, and acceptances will arrive. Good luck to all of NC’s seniors leaving and we hope you will wish us (the juniors) luck because our senior year will consist of challenges, heartbreak, and failure without you.

The future looks bright

Madeline Powers, Archives Editor
May 17, 2019
 The swim tryouts held this week brought great promise and an excited new team, much larger and seemingly faster than last year’s. The freshman bringing in a new wave of experienced and talented swimmers hopefully help carry the team to state this year. “The first day of tryouts went really well and we had a giant turnout, twice as many as we had last year, and it was really a good way for all of us, new and old, to get ready for the season,” junior Katie Word said.

Swimming into a new season

Madeline Powers, Archivist
October 24, 2018
Rags to riches final

[Photo] Meme Day

Isabella Keaton, Features Editor
September 30, 2018
Fire Stone’s opening brought in family, friends, and all of the people supporting the owners and their accomplishments. Although this would seem to be a stressful time for the owners, they were full of excitement and joy to bring people into this other world of asian food and culture. “ The opening was very successful, very good,” owner Wei Wei said.

Fire Stone brings fiery flavor to Kennesaw

Madeline Powers, Archivist/ reporter
September 13, 2018
Cobb County’s plan to bring together Acworth and Kennesaw libraries progresses into a physical plan for the consolidated library.

Libraries at risk due to budget cuts

Madeline Powers, General Assistant, Photographer
April 10, 2018
Juniors Isabella Keaton and Tara Anastasoff hosted the first meeting of What about Women? club, on January 24, where they discussed how to get feminine hygiene dispensers placed in the girl’s bathrooms at NC. 13 girls attended the first meeting and participated in a bonding activity to kickstart the beginning of the club. “(We are just) throwing everything out into the open. Within the next few meetings, we’ll fine tune our plans and have a day where we research and plan a fundraiser,” Anastasoff said.

We’ll fight ’till we bleed

Madeline Powers, General assistant
January 31, 2018
This photo shows Ian McCullough’s feature on the Georgia Magazine for winning a paid internship, $1000 scholarship, and a paid trip to Washington D.C. at Cobb EMC this past year. “I taught Ian his sophomore as well as his senior year and he has become a very well spoken young man and very poised and very sure of himself,” Ian’s favorite teacher, Mrs. Galloway said.

You can call me Mr. President

Madeline Powers, General assistant
January 24, 2018
prison infograph

The problem with our prisons

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
December 18, 2017
PB&J or Pb in water at lunch today?

PB&J or Pb in water at lunch today?

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
December 6, 2017
As the semester comes to a close, the End of Course exam season awakens the students of NC. The first day of the exams swiftly comes to a close as pressure falls off of the many students as they finish their exams, though most do not look at the EOCs as a big deal. “(The EOCs are) not a big deal really, I’m just chilling,” sophomore Tali Porter said.

NC sees the start of EOCs

Madeline Powers, Photographer, Reporter
November 29, 2017
Bye-bye, Bubonic

Bye-bye, Bubonic

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
November 28, 2017
Film students learned their annual Film Fest prompts. Film Fest consists of a 10-day competition, where Cobb County film students compete to win bragging rights and a trophy. “This year, the prompt is the name ‘Avery Cooper,’ the prop is a bracelet, and they have to say somewhere in the movie ‘Anything can happen if you let it.’ I think we are going to do really well [in the competition], we’ve got a great team that does a fantastic job in what they’ve done so far, and I can’t wait to see what they’ll do with this,” film teacher Mr. Knode said.

The beginning of Film Fest

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
November 1, 2017
The Lokal, the new and upcoming legacy of Legacy Park, opened to families in the Kennesaw-Acworth area this past September. “The new setup is kid-friendly and the menu has a better selection. The decorations and lighting are ambient and nice to look at from the inside as well as the outside,” sophomore Catherine Kulat said.

The Lokal’s location in Legacy

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
November 1, 2017
Millions of people suffer from the pain related to headaches and migraines everyday. “It [my headaches] feels very tight all around my skull, like someone is just grabbing my head and squeezing it. Sometimes my head feels really hot around my temples and the back of my neck where the spine and head connect. At its worst, my temples have a really sharp pain, like someone is poking them with hot knives,” sophomore Tali Porter said.

Headaches and migraines decoded

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
October 23, 2017
The Governors Honors Program offers a chance to attend a three-week program at Berry College in a specific subject or minor. These three members, and the rest of GHP attend an interview today to determine if they qualify for their specific interest. “It allows me to get an understanding and a grasp on what I’m going to have to do for college acceptance.” NC junior Spencer Paige said.

GHP’s suit and tie affair

Madeline Powers, Photographer
October 18, 2017
The brush of leaves scrapes the hallways of NC telling us that the wispy wind of georgia fall finally arrived. “Fall has begun and the perfect weather is among us. Not hot nor cold; everyone’s true style is shown and they are being bold. Summer may be gone but the skys still blue, so let’s be like the leaves and let our true colors shine through.” sophomore Josh Dixon said.

Watch out, fall’s out!

Madeline Powers, Photographer
October 2, 2017
From the works of Homer to Shakespeare, the great classics present themselves as a look into another age. To read a classic, one must begin the journey with a curious outlook on the world and the past. “Curiosity is the lust of the mind,” philosopher Thomas Hobbes said.

The Classics: Why we should read them

Madeline Powers, Reporter, Photographer
September 28, 2017
Magnet sophomore practice presentations, one of the key components of AP Seminar. The bundle prepares the students for their junior year and obtain more AP credits to benefit their GPAs. “[This is] a true collaborative bundle,” Mrs. Theaker said. “It is hopefully going to provide a really wonderful sort of basis for writing and research going forward for these Magnet students.”

[Photo] The new Magnet bundle of joy

Morgan Brown, Reporter, Photographer
September 19, 2017
Letterman jackets, an iconic symbol for high school athletes, previously ruled schools all over the world. Nowadays, that might not be the case. Jacket fittings and sales took place in the main cafeteria today. The table features designs of all colors, yet they have not made any sales. “I like them (letterman jackets), but I feel like they aren’t as cool as they once were,” NC sophomore Isaac Stobo said.

The fall of an icon

Madeline Powers, Photographer
September 18, 2017
Load More Stories