North Cobb Public Library: the bittersweet miracle

The North Cobb Public Library plans to open its doors within the next two weeks. A bittersweet miracle for the Kennesaw and Acworth areas. While patrons show disappointment in the closing of the libraries they grew up at, they appear excited about a larger working space and more community activities.

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers

Madeline Powers, Copy Editor

The North Cobb Public Library opens September 3, with the open house following two days later on September 5. The demolition of the Kennesaw and Acworth libraries and the hard work of construction workers and Cobb County employees made way for this grand opening. The library itself appears professional and detailed, with a multitude of elements that will contribute to student success, especially at North Cobb.

• When one first walks into the library, he/she will see the large lobby decorated with local artist’s paintings and well-created student pieces from local schools. These art pieces will soon move into the lobby once created and perfected.

• A library, the place to check-out books, contains books, what a surprise! Located in the Teen Center, the Kid’s area and the main section of the library, titles range from J.K. Rowling to Stephen Hawkings to a large collection of DVDs.

• Available for everyday use, PC computers contain all of the necessary programs and applications for whatever a patron may need. The library also contains specialized bright and bold keyboards for people who can not see very well.

• Many different teachers and students will give classes on technology in this room. The classes will include subjects like, how to check email, how to use Microsoft services.

• A place for teens to study, hang out, read, or do projects, the teen room will contain its own set of books (young adult), desks, gaming chairs, and a large whiteboard.

• Located all around the library, desk spaces with outlets and plenty of room exist. Students of teachers can come and plug in their laptops and get to work in a quiet, safe place, to focus, away from any distractions that life may bring.

• Free to use and reserve, for private or public purposes, the small meeting room will act like the tech classroom, but with anything someone may want to teach or learn.

• or small study groups or one-on-one sessions with a tutor, the group study rooms contain a large whiteboard and a table to talk through concepts and ideas

• The large meeting room will act as a conference-like center for local businesses or corporate meetings. It costs $25 for however long a group needs the space.

• The kid's area contains colorful and comfortable chairs, tactile activities on the sides of the bookshelves, and a couple of safe computers to use for games and learning activities. The workshop room, located around the corner from the kid’s area, will hold creative classes for children of all ages. On the outside of the kid’s area, one will find the amphitheater, where movie nights and plays can happen.

The new library will contain a lobby/gallery area, a teen center, a makerspace, a kid’s center, a playroom, and an outdoor theatre, as well as a tech learning center, four group study rooms, and two meeting rooms. The large meeting room will cost $25 to use for the desired time of the customer/patron, the small meeting room and group study rooms will only need a reservation depending on the day and time that one needs it. 

Teachers first saw this new library during a pre-opening event on the 7th of August and believed that the students would enjoy and benefit from the different features this library offers. 

“We are very excited about the new public library opening across the street from NC. We think it will be fabulous for the students because of the opportunities presented by the library programs for community involvement and we hope that the students will be able to learn new skills and meet new people within their programs. Also, it is a great space for students to go use their resources for reading or for computers or for whatever research they need after school or on the weekends when we are not available, ”NC Media Specialist Lisa Wheeler said.

Neely Simpson, the children’s activity planner for the new library, believes that the library will come in handy to the thousands of students next door, because of the teen center and the resources the library offers.  She also believes that the children and parents in the area will benefit greatly from the lessons and book readings that they will soon offer. 

“I’m really excited about it [the new library] and we feel like we won the lottery. We got to move into our new dream home. It was a little bittersweet for patrons because the Acworth library and the Kennesaw library had been there since 1967 and so they were really a part of those communities and people have fond memories of growing up in those buildings,” Simpson said.

The North Cobb Public Library plans to host a multitude of events including an annual “Yule Ball,” an event featured in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. They also continue to pursue the addition of a Café in the lobby/gallery area. They hope that the library will thrive in this new building with more space, advanced technology, and a prime location allowing the teenage population that uses the library to grow and prosper.