Jemiah Clemons

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor

Jemiah Clemons, a senior at NC, joined newspaper due to her love for writing. Life as a high school student causes plenty of stress, but newspaper gives her the break that she desires. Along with writing, Clemons enjoys watching movies, working out, and napping. When awake, you can catch her doing homework or watching RuPaul’s Drag Race. Clemons has a passion for sports and sports medicine and plans on going into this field for a career. 

As Jemiah approaches the end of her high school career, she begins to make plans for college. With the University of Miami being her top school, she continues to work toward the dream of attending. She plans to involve herself around campus and live college life to the fullest.

All content by Jemiah Clemons
Rainy Day Playlist

Rainy Day Playlist

Jemiah Clemons, opinions
May 10, 2022
A WWE style brawl occurred today in “malfunction junction”. Instead of students, the teachers and staff took part in an intense academic smackdown. Football, improper grammar and lack of knowledge lit the match to an unforgettable fight. The teachers’ pent-up aggression from COVID-19 came through full force.

Smackdown: NC teachers brawl

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
March 31, 2022
Reality TV in general typically profits off the humiliation and exploitation of its stars and contestants. TLC, unlike other networks, uses a methodical marketing formula based on the success of their past shows. Fatphobia, poverty and the exploitation of children plague the network’s shows. Instead of developing new ideas and shows, TLC continues to use obese people, poor people and children to thrive as a network.

TLC’s exploitative nature

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
February 17, 2022
Heartbreak anthems playlist

“Heartbreak anthems” playlist

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
February 14, 2022
Love like this playlist

“Love like this” playlist

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
February 14, 2022
Day of the decade

Day of the decade

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
January 21, 2022
With a new COVID-19 variant, history may repeat itself. At the start of 2022, certain colleges and universities have decided to remain virtual throughout the second semester. This change will potentially transform the lives of current and future college students.

2022 college shutdown

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
January 21, 2022
Teens reaching toward the future will meet different fates. The wrongful acts of teenagers may severely impact the rest of their lives or they may never face consequences for those acts. White privilege, the school-to-prison pipeline and other factors may determine the future for today’s youth.

The Racist Phase

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
December 13, 2021
In this month’s playlist selection, The Chant’s staff chose a mix of songs about heartbreak. The works of Summer Walker, Brent Faiyaz and Kanye West dominate this selection. The beautiful melodies and upbeat tempos will hold the attention of the listeners from start to finish. In upcoming months, The Chant plans to follow a theme each month and a selection that reflects it.

[Photo] November Playlist

November 11, 2021
At the tail end of the pandemic, workers feel fed up with pay and working conditions. This led to the Great Resignation across various careers and jobs. Restaurants, for example, have gone understaffed and frequently close because of an influx of customers with no staff to serve them. This not only affects small businesses but large corporations as well.

The Great Resignation

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
October 28, 2021
Today marks the twenty-year anniversary of 9/11. The extensive death and destruction triggered an enormous U.S. effort to combat terrorism. When comparing life in 2001 to 2021, Americans live in a completely different world. Several aspects of daily living have changed and can never go back to the normalcy Americans once knew.

9/11: the aftermath

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
September 11, 2021
The dystopian genre lacks originality due to the repetitiveness of plots, character arcs and themes. Young adult dystopias contain a few tropes that become overdone, and in the process, lose their uniqueness. Most films share the same tropes and do not show diversity amid struggle. Everything in these films conveniently falls in place for the main character and this takes away from the realistic nature.

Rewritten: the dystopian downfall

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
September 1, 2021
At a certain point in life, it must end. Those we leave behind will grieve, mourn and eventually adapt to a new way of life. However, people should not feel pressure from society to only feel the emotions listed in the five stages of grief .   “Put simply, grief is the price we pay for love, and a natural consequence of forming emotional bonds to people, projects and possessions. All that we value we will someday lose,” CEO of Australian Health Centre for Grief and Bereavement, Chris Hall MAPS, said.

The Real 5 stages of grief

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
August 25, 2021
Superhero films have improved tremendously over the years. Once a genre filled with cheesy action sequences and vague comedy, now makes an overwhelming amount of money for the movie industry. Several Superhero movies receive recognition while others do not. These under-appreciated films may have paved the way for a string of extremely successful Hollywood blockbusters.

Underrated Superhero Movies

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
April 27, 2021
Fans complain about the relationship dynamic between Wanda and Vision, calling it boring, bland and stale. “Not only did I have to see my favorite character die again, but his relationship with Wanda brought down the whole thing for me,” Junior Somiyah DeMarcado said.

WandaVision cancelled

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
April 1, 2021
Earlier this week a janitor spotted the society in NC’s basement. The members met to discuss a school wide pink shirt day on Wednesdays. Also at this meeting, the janitor learned that the legendary Regina George heads the council along with Principal Matt Moody.

Exposing NC’ s Secret Society

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
April 1, 2021
BSU holds weekly meetings every Wednesday afternoon at 3:30. The club looks forward to seeing new faces and bright ideas. For more information, those interested can contact @nchsbsu on Instagram to learn more. “It’s important to know that even though it is Black Student Union, it doesn’t exclude anyone of any color. The club welcomes allies and we would like to see more of them,” senior Co-president Abigail Addis said.

Black Student Union wants you

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
March 11, 2021
“Every girl put their heart out on the field and we played the best we could but it just wasn’t enough. We’re all sad for now, but we all plan on going farther next season,” Freshman Soleil Smith said.

NC Lady Warriors v.s. East Coweta

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
October 27, 2020
These are the Love Island USA final four couples after the reveal of the winners of the season. “I’m so happy that I made it here. I’m shocked that I made it here and found Calvin. It’s crazy,” Moira Tumas said.

Love Island USA: After the island

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions Editor
October 16, 2020
The NC Lady Warrior softball team huddle around 3rd base and pray before and after each game, followed by a chant to lift their spirits. “Praying and just talking to each other before each game gets us excited to go play. It kinda relieves some of the pressure we’re under,” junior Mackenzie Ogburn said.

Lady Warriors take on Spartans

Jemiah Clemons, Opinions editor
September 14, 2020
Counselors from all over Cobb County came together to help inform students, staff and parents about anxiety disorders that affect young people. Viewers walked to each table set up outside of the auditorium to talk about anxiety and other types of mental health.  
“The kids will always be our top priority and it’s important that we invest in the future,” NC guidance counselor Michelle Perlin said.

Angst Movie night

Jemiah Clemons, Staff
March 2, 2020
Students in Ms. Julie Hopp’s anatomy class dissected a sheep’s kidney. The students hope to find and learn about the different parts of the kidney as they study the urinary system. “We do everything on paper in this class and the students are always surprised by seeing an actual organ. It is important for the students to get the hands on experience,” Hopp said.

Kidney dissection

Jemiah Clemons, Staff
October 21, 2019
Located in Admin. 1, the NC lost and found contains student items. Later this week, any item not claimed will become a donation item for GoodWill. Students make sure to pick up lost items.

Lost and found

Jemiah Clemons, Staff
September 16, 2019
Will Netflix survive?

Will Netflix survive?

Jemiah Clemons, Staff
September 4, 2019
Those without parking passes can still buy one. At a price of $50, anyone who can drive can receive a parking spot. For more information, see Ms. Anne Ellis in Admin. 1 or check NC’s website for further details.

Parking into NC

Jemiah Clemons, Staff
August 19, 2019
Load More Stories