Warriors suffer first loss of season

Peyton Stack

The Warrior varsity football team continues their rituals by huddling up before introductions and kickoff. After the kickoff, the Warrior offense and defense seemed sluggish, eventually losing to the East Coweta Indians by a 19 point deficit. Despite the negative outcome, the Warrior offense totaled 393 offensive yards, only reaching the end zone 3 times. “We’re better than we played (today). I do know that,” Head Coach Shane Queen said.

Petyton Stack, Staff

The NC varsity football team (3-1) suffered their first loss of the season, at the hands of the East Coweta Indians (1-3) on September 20, 2019, at Emory Sewell stadium. Prior to kickoff, families, students, and community members stood up in remembrance of any loved ones affected by childhood cancer. Students wore all gold outfits in the honor of “Rally week” and the fight against childhood cancer. Coming off the yearly bye week and a 44-7 blowout over the Campbell Spartans on September 6, the NC offensive and defensive units showed hints of their previous winning strategies, but could not overcome the unfavored Indians. Despite the disappointing 42-23 outcome, the Warrior offense compiled 393 total offensive yards, with 242 yards coming on the ground. 

“I knew they were better than their record showed. They were more physical than we were in this game. Bottom line, it comes down to physicality and tackling, and we didn’t tackle well,” Head Coach Shane Queen said.

After electing to kickoff, the Warrior defense started out strong on the opening possession, sending the Indian offense back to their sideline after a quick four and out. Unlike the Campbell game where special teams supplied much-needed momentum, the Warrior punt return team muffed the punt, leading to a recovery by the Indians. Two plays later, East Coweta sophomore Amariyon Moss ran in a 28-yard touchdown, striking for an early 7-0 lead. 

The NC offense, led by junior quarterback Trevor Lovett, responded to the Indian touchdown with an 80-yard scoring drive, capped off with a 23-yard juggling touchdown reception by sophomore wide receiver Sam Mbake. After an extra point kick from junior Ben Moran, a back and forth array of impressive drives from both teams seemed to define the night, eventually favoring the Indians. Lovett finished the night with 151 passing yards and three touchdowns, while Mbake, Lovett’s leading receiving target, finished with four receptions on 84 receiving yards and a pair of touchdowns. Junior running back Cam Cunningham finished with 164 rushing yards on 23 carries, contributing to the 242 total rushing yards. Junior wide receiver Montrell Jenkins also hauled in a 26-yard touchdown pass from Lovett on the final play of the game. 

“Our Warrior football team had a tough game tonight, but I know they will bounce back stronger than ever next game,” sophomore Alex Preston said. 

The NC varsity Warrior football team hopes to get back to their winning ways for the remainder of the season. The NC football players and coaching staff, upon arrival to the locker room, described this game as a “wake up call”, reminding themselves of the improvements they need to work on. Make sure to catch the NC Warriors as they take on the Pebblebrook Falcons on Friday, October 4 at Falcon stadium.