Longhorns pierce Warriors in the first basketball game of the season

The 2019-2020 Warrior Varsity basketball team faces off against the top 5A state-ranked Kell Longhorns, building plenty of hype surrounding the basketball season. Pictured with players from both teams, this annual matchup featured top-ranked Kell guard Scoota Henderson and former NC guard Jaylen Harris, who later transferred to Kell, battling it out with NC’s prosperous team. “Now that football season is over, I am excited for basketball season. They are going to have a great year,” sophomore soccer player Kenna Armitage said.

Peyton Stack, Staff

The NC Warrior Varsity basketball team (0-1) opened up their 2019-2020 season against the Kell Longhorns (3-0) on Saturday, November 16 at the NC basketball arena. Led by head coach Terry Gorsuch, the Warrior team consists of only a handful of returning Varsity players and JV players that will define the team’s future. After former NC star guard Jaylen Harris transferred to Kell following the 2018-2019 season, the Warriors faced unusual adversity heading into this game. Despite their thorough preseason training, the Warriors ultimately fell 68-56 in a relatively close four quarters of play. 

“Our first game was challenging, especially against an exceptionally good team like Kell, but there are plenty of positives to take away. Most importantly, we have to learn from our mistakes, and put it into the next gameplan,” sophomore and Varsity forward Alex Acosta said. 

Peyton Stack
Despite losing 68-56, the Warrior basketball players stressed the importance of improvement and learning from their mistakes. With over 20 games left in their season, head coach Terry Gorsuch and the Warriors plan to find significant success this season. Make sure to visit the NC Warrior basketball website, and watch them in action during the winter season.

Ensuing tipoff, the Longhorns came out blazing, implementing a fast tempo; the Warriors responded with multiple game-changing plays by Magnet junior guard Tyler Gorsuch and senior guard Freddy Woods. Five star Kell sophomore guard Scoota Henderson changed the Longhorn’s momentum with a fastbreak dunk late in the game, limiting the Warrior’s success in the long run. Henderson finished the game with 34 points, 11 rebounds and 6 steals, ultimately helping Longhorns prevail over the Warriors. For the Warriors, the starting lineup consisted of senior Justin Coleman, junior Jaiden Neville, junior Tyler Gorsuch, senior Freddy Woods, and junior Jared Dejesus, combined for the majority of the Warriors points. Despite facing one of the top 5A teams in the state, the Warriors remained competitive, only losing by a 12 point deficit. 

“It was a tough game to start out with, but it’s only up from here. We know we can get better and win some games. We have good chemistry and have fun,” Gorsuch said. 

Regardless of the unwanted outcome, the NC Warrior Varsity basketball team plans to learn from their loss, and continue to improve each shot, each play, and each game. Make sure to catch the Warriors as they take on the Pebblebrook Falcons on Tuesday, November 19 at Falcon arena.