Warriors fall to top-ranked Indians

Peyton Stack

Prior to tipoff, NC varsity players Alex Acosta, Tyler Gorsuch and Sean Haliburton warm-up to prepare for the top-ranked Indians. Despite a trio of three-pointers from Gorsuch, the Warriors ultimately fell 79-66. The Warriors hope to get back on track with a win over the Marietta Blue Devils on Tuesday, December 17.

Peyton Stack, Staff

The NC Warrior varsity basketball team (4-4,0-1) began region play against the McEachern Indians on Friday, December 13 at the NC Arena. five-star senior guard Sharife Cooper, who garnered this rating since freshman year, led the number one state-ranked Indians over the Warriors in their eighth game of the season. Representatives from basketball production companies such as Overtime and Slam magazine traveled to cover the hype. Though faced with a strong performance by the Warriors, the Indians became too strong, ultimately walking away with a 79-66 win. 

“We came in as an underdog but competed hard. You have to play the best in order to get better and these guys are a great team,” NC sophomore forward Alex Acosta said.  

After tip-off, both teams remained scoreless for the first two minutes of play. Following two free throws from the Indians, the Warriors responded with a three-pointer from senior guard Freddy Woods, pushing the score to  3-2. With baskets from Woods, senior guard Justin Coleman, junior guard Tyler Gorsuch, junior forward Jared Dejesus, and sophomore forward Alex Acosta, the Warriors remained close but trailed 15-11 at the end of the quarter.

“We started off with a lot of energy and smart play, which helped us earn an early lead over the Indians. As the game went on, we lost our intensity and they took advantage of that,” junior guard Tyler Gorsuch said. 

Peyton Stack
The Indians, who sit atop the 7A GA state basketball rankings and top twenty nationally, feature senior point guard Sharife Cooper as their premier player. Cooper committed to the Auburn Tigers in early 2019, following his former high school teammate. Cooper displayed a 30 point plus performance against the Warriors, continuing their 39 game win streak.

Filled with an array of flashy passes and long three-pointers, the Indians outlasted the Warriors, prevailing with a 79-66 win. The Indian’s Sharife Cooper, who announced his commitment to the University of Auburn earlier this year, finished with a 30 point plus performance. NC’s Gorsuch, Woods, and Coleman all contributed double-digit performances in a disappointing loss.

Despite a tough loss, the NC Warrior Varsity basketball team plans to improve and incorporate the positive aspects of Friday nights game into future matchups. Make sure to catch the Warriors as they take on the Marietta Blue Devils on Tuesday, December 17 at Marietta High school.