Warriors triumph over Wolfpack in first region match

The NC varsity boys tennis team secured a 3-2 victory over region rival North Paulding High school.  The deciding one doubles match came down to Lorenzo Alarcon and Grayson Hines, who kept the audience on their toes with split sets and tie breaker for the third set. NC earns their third win of the season and improves to a 1-0 region record. (Pictured left to right) Lorenzo Alarcon, Grayson Hines, Ryan Tuchmann, Peyton Stack, and Tyler Goldfine celebrated at Acworth’s Poblanos following the victory.

Courtesy of North Cobb Tennis

The NC varsity boys tennis team secured a 3-2 victory over region rival North Paulding High school. The deciding one doubles match came down to Lorenzo Alarcon and Grayson Hines, who kept the audience on their toes with split sets and tie breaker for the third set. NC earns their third win of the season and improves to a 1-0 region record. (Pictured left to right) Lorenzo Alarcon, Grayson Hines, Ryan Tuchmann, Peyton Stack, and Tyler Goldfine celebrated at Acworth’s Poblanos following the victory.

The NC Warrior varsity tennis team (3-4, 1-0) defeated the North Paulding Wolfpack (6-1, 0-1) in a dramatic fashion on Thursday, March 4. The Warriors continue to train hard and proudly represent the school name. Before the previous season ended abruptly to the COVID-19 pandemic, the team made it to the 7A GHSA state championship in 2019. This season their impressive performance continues. 

I was very impressed by how our team dug deep and fought hard. We were faced with one of the top teams in the region and we not only won but we learned we can win our region with hard work, team spirit, and dedication,” NC varsity senior Ryan Tuchmann said.  

The Wolfpack seized the first point of the match by sweeping the doubles team of NC Magnet sophomore Quintin Ferrara and NC freshman  Zeke Cotton at the two doubles spot.  NC senior Ryan Tuchmann responded and put the first points on the board for the Warriors with a 6-3 6-1 win at the line two singles spot. Tuchmann used his signature serve and volley tactic to claim his victory, and immediately cheered his teammates on after the conclusion of his match. NC Magnet junior Peyton Stack claimed the first set 6-3 before falling 2-6 4-6 at the number one singles position. Despite facing injuries, Stack and his opponent played a back and forth thriller that went right down to the wire. Down 2-1 on the overall team score, the Warriors needed the remaining matches to win to secure their first region victory. NC freshman Tyler Goldfine, who also battled an injury earlier in the season, tied the match with a 6-1 6-2 triumph at the number three singles spot. Goldfine stepped up to the three singles for the first time in his young high school career after previously playing two doubles, and provided a big win for the Warriors. With all eyes turning to the number one doubles line, NC senior Grayson Hines and NC junior Lorenzo Alarcon found themselves down 5-3 in the deciding third set, but clawed their way back to a tiebreak that determined the match. Between effective returns and well placed serves, the number one doubles team earned the Warriors their first region win of the season and avenged a loss to the Wolfpack a year prior. 

“Grayson and I tried to take it one point at a time. We knew the match was coming down to us, so we really honed in. As soon as we won that last point of the match, a sigh of relief and joy came over me and you know North Paulding is a great team so this was big for us,” junior Lorenzo Alarcon said. 

The team prides themself over this win, and they eagerly await their next match as they continue to practice and work hard. Even though the COVID-19 pandemic shortened the Warriors 2020 season, the varsity boys bounced back and avenged one of their losses from the previous year. Make sure to catch the Warriors as they take on the Walton Raiders on March 9 at the Raiders courts. 

“I was feeling a lot of pressure because I didn’t want to let the team down. I was super proud of the team for staying in their matches and not giving up when they were down,” Goldfine said.