NC team to participate in Highland Games

Dominik Perez

North Cobb student Flance Borgenstein celebrates after hearing the announcement that NCHS will participate in the upcoming Scottish Highland Games. The games themselves date back hundreds of years to ancient scottish and celtic clan traditions and rituals.

Dominik Perez, Entertainment Editor

NC makes history as the first American high school to participate in the Scottish Highland Games. The games themselves, an ancient Scottish tradition steeped in cultural and historical significance, often play host to the world’s strongest and most  dominant athletes competing in games that test their strength and endurance. 

“There is no other sport that tests one’s mental and physical abilities like the bag piping competitions seen at the games. They are a fully involved instrument that requires the kind of grace one can only get through years and years of training,” senior Flance Borgenstein said.

Borgenstein led the movement that got North Cobb High School involved with the Highlands games in the first place. He single handedly raised the five hundred dollars required to cover the team’s travel fees. The team, consisting of one person, plans to fly out to Scotland on Tuesday, August 3rd, 2021, arriving four days before the games in order to “immerse themselves in the culture” and “see what the hype is all about.” When asked what Borgenstein meant by the hype, he elaborated that the statement referenced the failed Scottish revolution under King James VII and refused to respond to further questioning.

Of the countless games athletes can compete in, North Cobb will participate in the Caber Toss, a sport which involves throwing a 16 to 20 feet log in a manner so that it lands on one end and then falls at 12 o’clock orientation, the Bag Piping Competition, and Highlands Dancing.

“I actually threw my arm out yesterday trying to do the caber toss, so I’ll just be doing the bagpipes and the dancing. That’s all anyone is therefore anyways,” Borgenstein said.
The games also feature a musical performance leading to the grand opening of the annual event known as the Chieftains Parade in which a marching band composed of wind instruments and drums follows a man dubbed the Chieftain in an attempt to entertain crowds. Borgenstein managed to convince NC’s own marching band to participate by threatening to join them next year if they didn’t.

“Yeah that threat was about all it took. I know that guys a senior, but there’s no doubt he’ll be back here next year. If marching around in a kilt is all it will take to keep him away from me then sign me up,” junior Richard Borgenstein said.

While the tradition may seem strange to the majority of people, countless people hold it with high esteem and importance. The ritual goes back countless generations, and The Chant feels obligated to share its importance and our school’s upcoming participation with our readers. After the games Borgenstein plans to stay in Scotland, so the entire NC student body wishes him luck in his journey and any future endeavours as long as he does not come back here.

“Yeah I think I’ll stick around. I might get a job as a kilt model, or a professional bagpipe salesman. Who knows really?” said Borgenstein.

April Fool’s, you fool!

XOXO,