Students reactions to COVID-19 vaccinations

Courtesy of Mayah Bourne

Mayah Bourne chose to receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to protect, not only herself, but her loved ones within her family and friends. The mild side effects for the vaccine outweigh the risk of losing someone she cares about to the vicious virus ripping through the country and world currently. Bourne chose to take a step towards returning to normalcy.

Elyssa Abbott, Editor-in-chief

On Tuesday March 23, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp announced that in the following days, Georgians 16 years of age and older would become eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. For those under 18, the Pfizer vaccine stands as the only vaccine approved for the age group. Thursday March 25 marked the day that the majority of Georgia could sign up for the COVID-19 vaccines at various sites around the state, including the mass vaccination site at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Fulton County. Governor Kemp made this announcement during a press conference at the State Capitol in an effort to return to normalcy and combat the pandemic.

Prior to Kemp’s announcement, Georgia faced criticism for ranking low in the number of people vaccinated, while also ranking in at the second fewest vaccines received in the country. To achieve herd immunity, Georgia needs 75% of the population to receive vaccinations, which equals the percent of the population over 16 years of age. Now that sophomores through seniors in high school can receive the COVID-19 vaccine, what do they think about it?

“I chose to get the vaccine because I knew it would help us get one step closer to a normal society again. I would feel more comfortable knowing I’m less likely to get my family and friends sick,” said Magnet senior Mayah Bourne.

Students do tend to agree with Bourne and understand that vaccinations create a pathway towards normalcy. After experiencing online school and seniors losing much of their junior year and all of their senior years, high school students crave consistency and feel eager to receive COVID-19 vaccinations.

On the other hand, some teens feel less than apt to receive the vaccine due to uncertainty for long-term effects and other health concerns. 

“After hearing some of the risks that could come with the vaccine and having some health problems with my heart already, I do not think I will get it just yet. The side effects and my reaction to medications scare me with the vaccine,” said senior Caris Todd.

No matter your stance, the collective response stands as wanting to return to normalcy. Vaccinations exist as a solid start, but with the number of people in Georgia that feel hesitant, people must promote research and spread factual information about the vaccine.