The light at the end of the tunnel

Najalae Griffith

Maintaining one’s mental health should always remain a priority. The current youth of society continues to thrive as they head into the future but, mental illnesses such as depression can heavily affect the current generations and generations to come. Receiving the professional help people need remains important so that people can continue to better themselves.

Najalae Griffith, Reporter

*This article includes sensitive content such as suicide, self-harm, and mental health.*

Over 100,000 teen suicidal deaths occur each year, a riveting number that brings to light the importance of mental health. For children ages 10-14, mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, and body dysmorphia can occur. These traumatic ongoing experiences harm children’s mental health and cause long-lasting effects. Children acknowledging their problems and asking for help aids in opening up and improving how they cope.

Everyone knows the saying “talk to a trusted adult,” but society fails to realize teens may feel uncomfortable talking to their parents, the most common adult in most children’s lives. Ranting to a friend about their problems can provide more comfort because they believe a friend may take them seriously or respond more in a more positive manner. Teens battling a mental illness tend to struggle with facing the reality that sending them away to treatment facilities can help them become better. They need to feel comfortable enough to open up to people about their feelings or they will remain silent and bottle up their emotions until they can not anymore, resulting in self-harm.

“Many students come to me each year to tell me about their struggles. I’m easy to talk to and very approachable. I believe teachers should always give an accepting vibe to students. I direct them to a counselor if it has to deal with their safety or the safety of others, such as mentioning being suicidal, but otherwise, I simply listen to their problems and help them try to solve them,” Sources of Strength adult advisor, Holly Botella, said.

Forms of self-harm include cutting, attempting overdose, and trying to commit suicide. However, countless websites including Pleasetouchme.com, Itwillneverbethesame.com and Lookingatsomething.com can help distract people from destructive thoughts. Signs that people usually show when engaging in self-harm include unexpected cuts around their bodies, changes in eating habits and wearing long sleeves or winter clothing in the summer or spring. Watching for these signs can help people who participate in self-harm receive the professional help they may need.

“My experience with mental health had a huge impact on my first semester of high school. I felt bland. I didn’t do my work. I missed many days of school. I felt like there was no point in life. I coped by playing video games as if it was an escape from reality. Most people don’t realize they’re getting better until they take a step back from life and view it from different perspectives. I’m grateful to be getting a second chance,” freshman Mohammed Sonko said.

Worldwide, numerous organizations help people who struggle with mental illnesses. In particular, a group at North Cobb Highschool called “Sources of Strength” continues to help struggling students with their mental health. Sources of Strength thrives to make students feel respected, safe and cared for. Advisors within the organization connect with the student body extremely well, while reassuring them that the members can represent a safe place when students need a hand to hold. Other oganizations like Zero Suicide, and NAMI strive to assist others on their way to recovery.

“I became an adult advisor for Sources of Strength because I have a way of developing an emotional connection with students and colleagues. I like to get to know people on more than just a surface level and I’m a good listener. This group seemed right up my alley to be a support system for students. I have lost a personal friend to suicide. I believe everyone knows someone who could have kept living if maybe they were able to get the help they needed. I always want to be available to be that person who helps my students find the will to keep going when they struggle,” Botella said.

Receiving professional help to cope helps a lot. Tactics such as group therapy or treatment facilities can help people improve the severity of their mental illness. Rehab may come off as a time-consuming solution, but the sooner people acquire help, the sooner they can recover. The process appears intense and overwhelming, so the more support patients procure the better. Doctors can prescribe medication in conjunction with therapy or on its own, not always as a last choice

“Sometimes hearing the troubles students go through, especially at home, can be difficult. Luckily, we have Sources of Strength and an incredible counseling department in place to help students cope if difficult mental health situations arise,” Botella said.

Finding coping mechanisms and receiving help for these major issues remains important, especially for teenagers who feel isolated. Recovery seems like a long and hard process, but in the end, accomplishing something massive can make people feel on top of the world. Patience, hard work and determination will always remain the key to recovery. Those struggling with a mental illness can reach the suicide prevention line at  1-800-275-8825. The more people start to talk about it, the quicker they can recover.