Felly brings old-school vibes at The Vinyl

Peyton Stack, Copy Editor

Located off of West Peachtree street, The Vinyl venue, a 300-capacity staple in Atlanta’s local music scene, brought L.A.-based artist Felly and his fans together on March 1, 2022, as a part of the “Rush of the Road” tour. Prior to the concert, general admission die-hard fans lined up outside the doors while VIP ticket holders went inside and met Felly along with his band. As the time neared 8 pm, everyone entered the small yet intimate venue that featured a full-length bar, a standing floor, and tables in the back. Once the lights dimmed and the opening act’s drummer entered the stage, the fans’ excitement grew. 

“This show was easily my favorite one I’ve ever been to. From Oliver Malcolm to Gyyps to Felly, each act brought something new that I’ll remember forever. If I could live this night all over again, I would,” Kennesaw State University student Tracy Winckler said.  

The night started with London’s Oliver Malcolm coming out as the opening act. Malcolm brought ecstatic energy as he played various songs from his 2021 EP called, “Are You Living in the Real World?”. The Atlanta show highlighted Malcolm’s first show in the states, as rapper Souly Had occupied the opener position for the West Coast portion of the tour. Malcolm performed six songs, which mainly consisted of hard-knocking drums, and even allowed one passionate fan on-stage to help raise the energy. After Malcolm exited the stage, he then came back out and passed out his own merchandise, perfectly firing the audience up for the next act. 

Following a brief break, DJ and producer Sol Was came out on stage to bring the energy back. Sol Was played multiple Hip-Hop bangers including Baby Keem and Migo’s “Hannah Montana”. Next out came rapper and frequent Felly-collaborator, Gyyps, who cycled through past hits and newer tunes. Gyyps stood as the drummer for Felly’s band while Sol Was played the Bass and controlled the DJ board. After both artists finished their electric performances, they both geared up for Felly’s entrance. 

As the lights once again dimmed and the song “Still Young” off his newest album “Young Fel 2” began to play, fans began to jump up and down as the rapper burst onto the scene. Sporting a sweatshirt and flannel that later got taken off, the rapper started his set with more rap-leaning songs. Old favorites like “Fabrics” and newer releases like “Everybody Loves You” set the energy. Similar to all great concerts though, rises and falls prove as an effective tool. Felly then picked up his guitar while Gyyps hammered on the drums and Sol Was plucked his bass. Felly played songs off his 2020 album “Mariposa”, which created a more intimate experience. Next, Gyyps joined Felly as they performed multiple songs that they released as collaborations. “Slim Jawn”, “Fire Out Back”, and fan-favorite “Desert Eagle” set the venue “on fire”. Felly then ended the night by finishing with his alternative-rock song “Bones”, which sparked fans to demand an encore. The entire band then came back out and played an additional song to cap off the fantastic night. 

“I really wish I could have gone. Felly is one of my favorite artists and from what I heard, the venue was very intimate and had some other great performers. Felly is one of those artists that can rap his heart out and rail on the guitar within 10 minutes of each other,” senior Bentley Huff said. 

After the concert finished, Felly and Gyyps traveled over to the merchandise booth, where they took pictures and signed autographs for any and everyone. Oliver Malcolm and Sol Was both stood around the venue greeting fans as well. The overall unique experience that fans received from the entire night created lifetime memories and followings. 

The Chant’s Grade: A