The blueprint to healthy relationships

“Euphoria” follows a group of high school students as they navigate love and friendships in a world of drugs, trauma and social media. Zendaya Coleman stars as the main character. Drake, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj produced the series. The series follows Rue Bennett (Zendaya), a recovering teenage drug addict who struggles to find her place in a world of unexpected challenges. “Euphoria” shows the viewers a raw representation of the obstacles teenagers face in modern-day society.

HBO Max

Lauren Lee, Reporter

HBO Max’s popular series that launched in 2019, causes teenagers to flip out over the plot of the show. “Euphoria” emphasizes modern-day teenage issues that involve drug addiction, sexuality, abuse and the dangers of social media. During the hardships the characters experience, they build a strong and healthy bond with one another. “Euphoria” perfectly demonstrates healthy relationships and friendships. 

In the show, Zendaya Coleman plays Rue, the main character. Rue creates a special bond with Jules played by Hunter Schafer, which eventually turns into a relationship. The show portrays Rue as a drug addict as she goes through multiple episodes of relapse, eventually staying sober because she knew it would make Jules happy. Even though Jules loves Rue, she can’t figure out if she wants a committed relationship with her. Jules feels comfortable flirting with other people while in a relationship with Rue. Rue might not agree with Jules flirting with other people, but Jules does this in front of Rue rather than behind her back.

During season two, Rue meets Elliot, played by Dominic Fike and they hang out frequently. Because Elliot cares about Rue, he lets Jules and Rue’s mom know that Rue relapsed. If Elliot and Jules never cared about her, she could have died. Even though Elliot damaged Rue’s relationship with her mom by the way he told her, he still deeply cared about her. 

“Euphoria” displays true friendships in various episodes. In season two, Maddy, played by Alexa Demie, finds out her best friend Cassie, played by Sydney Sweeny, dated her ex-boyfriend Nate, played by Jacob Elordi. Since Cassie loves Maddy, she waited until after Maddy and Nate broke up to date him. This shows how much Cassie cares about Maddy. Real friends wait until their boyfriend breaks up with their best friend to date them.  

“If my best friend got together with my ex-boyfriend I wouldn’t be upset because we aren’t together anymore. She wouldn’t even have to ask me for my permission because I would probably set them up myself anyways. I find it so selfish and insane when girls don’t let their besties date their ex, imagine being that self-centered,” Sophomore Ryan Lacey said.

Most high schoolers misinterpret what real relationships and friendships look like because of shows such as “Outer Banks, “On My Block”, and “Ginny and Georgia”. These shows gloss over the reality of teenage bonds and fail to show the trials and tribulations they go through. “Euphoria” perfectly demonstrates how to treat friends and significant others.