The truths of zen

Callie Kinsinger

Along with traditional practices of zen, other crafts and activities can give a person peace. Sand gardens and hobbies such as painting also bring waves of serenity and calmness. Taking one’s mind off of stressful situations and negative thoughts can return the feeling of living in the moment.

Callie Kinsinger, Features Editor

Rooted in Mahayana Buddhism, zen activities control the mind and bring the body to a calmer state. The practice of zen, or serenity, creates a peaceful mindset and awareness of both others and oneself. The state of true zen focuses on living in the moment and coming to terms with full self-peace.

Numerous people use activities focused on achieving zen to calm themselves and help create a sense of inner peace. With a variety of different ways to take complete zen, everyone can find an activity that fits them best.

Zen activities serve as an outlet for people with negative feelings and thoughts. They can release the bad energy coming toward them and help them feel calm and safe. Also, expressing gratitude for positive events that happen throughout the day helps with living in the moment. When something exciting or devastating happens, the body may need to come to terms with it and remain peaceful.

“I don’t think my attitude changes when I journal, more so my awareness of my attitude. It makes me feel more understanding of exactly what I’m feeling. In my opinion, focusing too much on the things that upset me is unhealthy so I should give that same time and energy to the things that make me happy as well,” sophomore Tristan Mick said.

Meditation proves a simple way to achieve zen and understand a true version of living in the moment. Meditation builds mindfulness by focusing on breathing in and out while the mind wanders.

“I feel more relaxed and calm when I meditate. Mostly because I’m sitting still and not doing anything else but just focusing on my breathing and whatever else it is I want to focus on. I meditate to calm down sometimes, and other times just to work on disconnecting from everything and everyone. It’s just being alone with my thoughts,” sophomore Zaria Jordan said.

Meditation can create space in one’s life and mind, at no cost at all. It helps lower stress and nonstop thoughts running through the brain. Meditation improves focus and connection and recollects all thoughts so they do not turn into harmful words or actions.

Meditation does not work for everyone, however. Finding comfort in activities like journaling, a way to release all stress and anxiety onto a simple piece of paper, may serve as a better fit for others. Yoga helps create a sense of balance and strength that numerous people connect with.

“Not every time I journal am I trying to cope with negative feelings, sometimes it’s a way to cherish good times and evaluate my day. Even if it’s just a quick rant or complimenting myself on my work for the day, it ends up making me feel good,” Mick said.

Whether one uses zen activities to express positive or negative emotions, they stand as a positive way to put a day in review and think about decision-making. Living in the moment allows people to move away from the past and stop worrying about the future. Numerous people resonate with these feelings and end up with a clear mind.