Do it the write way: expression through art

Valentina Gonzalez

When searching for methods for self-expression, people overlook multiple underrated ways and outlets. Even though verbally expressing feelings, thoughts and emotions to a peer or a professional may appear popular and efficient, it does not help those who do not want to particularly share their thoughts with another person.

Valentina Gonzalez, Reporter

Finding ways for self-expression persists as a constant problem for teens all over the world. Several teens find themselves lost as they struggle to come across beneficial methods to release their emotions. Teenagers recognize talking to someone as the only way to let their feelings loose. While verbal communication may seem like a relevant option, several other ways remain underrated and underused.

Writing

Writing substitutes for those who do not consider themselves creative, social or artistic as the people who can easily vent in extroverted ways. Keeping a diary or journal provides the opportunity to discreetly vent to a private source. The writing produced when expressing emotions does not require neatness or structure as long as the writer unleashes their feelings in a way they feel comfortable.

Cooking/Baking

Cooking and baking continue as amazing and helpful ways to express feelings and emotions. Creating new recipes or using old ones with a new twist helps people by serving as a creative outlet. Decorating a dessert or food allows one to draw out their feelings and grants the opportunity to control the presentation of their creation. 

“I often find that whenever I feel stressed or anxious, if I go into the kitchen and start cooking, those feelings go away almost immediately. Cooking helps me concentrate and put my attention on one or more meals that take my mind off of other things. I also love that the result of my concentration leads the meals to come out delicious in the end, and I get to share them with my family,” sophomore David Achamaja said.

Painting/Drawing

For crafty people who need the chance to let off steam, painting and drawing work as one of the top recommended ways to release emotions. When people artistically express themselves, they control the brush and in turn, feel in control of their emotions. If a person feels the need to draw specifics and details with different brush patterns or an ombre, they can. People also choose to draw out a clashing piece of art with bland or vibrant colors to express their moods or feelings.

“Painting always helps me express myself. Depending on my mood, I either draw a big plain blob on a canvas or draw a very detailed layout then paint in whatever feels right. No matter how they look, I always feel happy about my paintings because I know that at the time I needed to express myself, and my end results show that I did,” North Paulding High School sophomore Katie Divis said.

People should verbally contact another person to ensure safety and comfort if they need to combat a serious problem. Expressing thoughts, feelings and emotions to others might pose an extremely difficult situation to experience. Sometimes people may feel stressed about not knowing how to deal with their current mental state, causing them to not want to share their problems with others. Experimenting with different ways to express emotions helps ensure the possibility of a less stressed lifestyle.