Mary Washburn’s Matilda Wormwood amazes NC

Jasmina Buranich

After months of preparation, NC’s Fine Arts performed Roald Dahl’s “Matilda The Musical Jr.” and put on a wonderful performance for their peers and teachers to enjoy. Hosted in NC’s Performing Arts Center, families watched as the cast sang and danced along the stage. With help from student directors and the lighting and sound crew, the audience fell in love with the beautiful performance executed for them. “Behind the scenes, a lot needs to be done. [There are]the big things, like lights, sound and set, and everything in between. I took care of the little things to make everything run [smoothly]. I would make sure everyone knew what we needed to get done each week and what their roles were for [the] show. I also made sure actors were in place for their cues, set pieces were in place, and props weren’t missing during [the] show,” senior stage manager Emma Henderson said.

Jasmina Buranich, Copy Editor

NC families, students and teachers filled the Performing Arts Center to enjoy NC’s production of Roald Dahl’s “Matilda The Musical Jr.” from January 26 to January 28. Originally released in 1996, “Matilda” tells the story of a gifted, sharp-witted girl who lives with a vile family. To escape the misery she calls home, Matilda dives into the world of books. She tells her stories in a way that the book comes to life, ultimately impressing those around her. 

As the story continues, Matilda’s intelligence turns into psychic powers as she can now move objects by simply looking at them. NC highlighted her powers and worked diligently to impress the audience with moving objects without anyone laying a finger on them.

Jasmina Buranich

As the children danced and sang about their parents’ views of them as special, bright children, the stage chaos caused exciting energy to drift through the crowd. Matilda finally appeared on NC’s stage following a group performance and the other performers faded and all eyes followed magnet freshman Mary Washburn. 

Washburn received the role of the main character, Matilda Wormwood, after her admirable audition and won the audience over with her incredible voice and charm. Although this play served as her first high school role, she has performed in twenty-four other shows in the previous years. 

Jasmina Buranich

The setting of the play takes place in Matilda’s school where she, unfortunately, faces difficulties with the principal, Miss Agatha Trunchbull. Played by junior Joseph Pagan-Portes, laughter spread through the audience—and cast members—with his mannerisms, bullying, hair-pulling and shrieking. His incredible performance entertained the crowd through scenes of forcing the children to participate in gym activities and eating an entire chocolate cake.

“Every production of a show aims to be different, otherwise you’re just copying someone’s work. We choreographed our own dances. We made our own set. We made our own cake, even if it was a bit rough. The only things we shared with any other production are the music and the script,” senior stage manager Emma Henderson said.

During the musical, Matilda builds various friendships with students, her teacher and the librarian through her bravery toward bullies, her intelligence and her storytelling. “Matilda” portrays the story of a couple struggling to build their family. As the lights turn red and Matilda narrates, the scene comes to life before the eyes of the librarian, Mrs. Phelps, —sophomore Tess Farrell—and the audience. The escapologist and acrobat, played by sophomore Kayden Williams and magnet sophomore Olivia Doucette respectively, entertained the viewers with their dancing, acting and chemistry. 

Smith runs off stage as the students circle him and sing and yell “revolting” as a measure to put an end to their principal’s endless torments. Serving as the play’s climax, the room fills with loud noise as the yelling echoes through the room. To excite the audience, several cast members ran through the isles of the Performing Arts Center which put smiles on the audience’s faces.

At school, Matilda amazes her teacher, Miss. Honey, played by junior Destiny Elliott, with her above-average knowledge. Elliott and Pagan-Portes engage the crowd through their bickering about Matilda and other students. As their friendship grows closer, Miss Honey tries to communicate with Matilda’s family but Matilda’s parents—junior DJ Tilmon and magnet junior Caroline Green—clearly lack interest.

With an amazing business deal, Matilda’s family decides to pack their bags and migrate elsewhere. Knowing Matilda’s happiness stands at risk, Mrs. Honey asks her parents if she could take Matilda in. The play ends on a happy note as Elliot, Washburn and Farrell join together for a hug; Matilda finally feels at home.

Jasmina Buranich

“The best part was definitely learning how to use the mics and headsets. Wearing the headset backstage makes anyone feel like [they are] in charge and it’s just a really cool experience,” Henderson said.