Where the Wild Teachers Are: Coach Vacca and Skate Life

Nabila Pranto

Coach Vacca in front of the No Skateboarding sign, declining its message. Inline skating has and always will be his passion.

Nabila Pranto, Reporter

Students often dismiss their teachers’ lives outside of school. Not to mention, most students fail to realize that teachers’ had their own adolescent escapades. Most people describe teenagers as rambunctious, atrocious, loud, and disrespectful. And despite our disbelief, these teachers once shared the same description. In preparation for an ongoing series, this serves as the first installment of “Where the Wild Teachers Are,” which covers teachers’ wild teenage pasts.

Coach Vacca:

Reminiscing upon his teenage years, Coach Vacca recounts the time he dropped out of high school to compete among other inline skaters. His achievements brought him to Massachusetts where a local skate shop sponsored him. His reasoning behind this? His father forbade him from skating, a reasonable demand as his absence left his parents scared. In the meantime, he housed through networks of family rented homes during the competitions.

“Everybody else was heading off to these competitions, and I knew the only way to do what they were doing is to not go to school anymore,” Vacca said.

Just like at any high school, peer pressure influenced his decision. He admits that dropping out of high school derived from peer pressure and his own intentions. Even today, Coach Vacca remains displeased with his decisions and now holds education to a higher standard. Vacca does not only convey this message to his own kids, but to his students as well.

“Coach Vacca is so funny. He’s an adult that I trust at school. He can really relate to what we say and gives great advice” says junior Ashley Diaz.